Cat having trouble drinking after full Dental extraction

lucyskyekitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She had all her teeth pulled yesterday (13 altogether, as she's had previous dentals/lost some teeth on her own) as well as had three skin bumps removed surgically. She's still recovering a bit from the anesthetsia but is a lot less wobbly than yesterday, nearly back to her usual motor ability. But definitely still a little out of it.

She's eating fine (which is great considering she's on 3 oral medications now) but shes having a VERY difficult time drinking water. I can tell she REALLY wants to - since last night she's pretty much been living next to her food and water, and every so often she puts her snout in to try to drink and pulls it out. I've seen her get some sips here and there, but each time it's only been one sip and she sits back down next to it. She didn't even come to bed last night, she just stood next to her bowl, and is pretty much doing the same right now.

I called the vet and the nurse said it wasn't urgent, but hopefully sometime today her vet will call back.

In the meantime, any suggestions on how to help her? I tried giving her a syringe of water earlier but she really doesn't like them and ran away from me every time I tried it. She's been fine with me otherwise, letting me pet and feed her and purring.

Attachments

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Poor baby! Losing all those teeth at once! But I bet she will be feeling a lot better than whatever caused her to have to have them pulled.
If she's eating wet food more than likely she will get enough moisture from it for now. I was going to suggest syringing water but I see you've tried this already. Perhaps try a different, more shallow bowl - even a small plate with water. It may be easier because she won't have to push her tongue out quite as far to reach inside the bowl, which may be a problem right now until she learns how to reuse her mouth better.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lucyskyekitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Poor baby! Losing all those teeth at once! But I bet she will be feeling a lot better than whatever caused her to have to have them pulled.
If she's eating wet food more than likely she will get enough moisture from it for now. I was going to suggest syringing water but I see you've tried this already. Perhaps try a different, more shallow bowl - even a small plate with water. It may be easier because she won't have to push her tongue out quite as far to reach inside the bowl, which may be a problem right now until she learns how to reuse her mouth better.
Thank you so much for the shallow plate tip!! She's taking larger sips already!