Cat having "poopy problems", at the end of my rope

kitcuddles

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! I am new here and desperately looking for advice. I'm sorry this is so long.....
I have a 17yr old diabetic cat. She is well maintained on lantus 2x a day. She is fed only wet food.
She's had some sporadic issues here and there in the past where she will run to the box repeatedly like she's constipated or has a UTI and will poop little bits here and there and then poop out this clear jelly mucus.
So recently she had a bout of this that went on for 2 weeks straight. Every day. Running to the box, straining, pooping, running back. Posturing on things outside the box. We started giving her miralax and pumpkin.
We took her to the vet. No UTI, blood work is normal, X-rays are normal. She has some fecal matter In her bowels but the vet said she can tell it's passing. She said continue with miralax and up the dosage. We did and it still continued.
So I said that's it we are changing her food. She was eating fancy feast naturals beef pate. I said maybe it's beef, maybe it bothers her. Once we switched her food she did seem to get better. But it's still happening a few times a week.
This always seems to coincided with a bowel movement. Not every time though! But she will poop a normal poop and then it's back and forth for an hour or two, getting out little bits more of poop. Then she settles down..usually after the jelly mucus is passed.
Does anyone know what the heck is going on?! Is this ibd? She was given an antibiotic shot over a month ago for her gums being inflamed. It was the broad spectrum convenia. Did this wipe her gut bacteria?
We are giving miralax still. The jelly is def. Coming from her bum. Sometimes she will lift her leg and you can see her anus contracting. Is it spasms causes her pain? Like I just don't know. I don't know how to make her better. Does anyone have any experience with this or have any idea as to what's going on with my baby girl??
Thank you and sorry for the long post.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Did the vet check for an anal glad infection? She may also need her anal glands expressed now that she's older. If her poo is soft from the Mirilax, it may not be expressing her fully.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kitcuddles

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes the vet said her anal glands were okay. Thank you for the response ❤

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Are you dissolving the Mirilax quite well before giving it to her? How much of a dosage is she getting for her weight?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
In answer to your question about her gut bacteria, yes indeed, antibiotics can wipe out good gut flora, so by all means, try giving her a probiotic and see how she responds. Even S. Boulardi might be helpful.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kitcuddles

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry for the late reply, I couldn't find my post again. We are putting 1/8th teaspoon in her wet food 1x a day. We were doing 2x a day per the vet, but have dialed it back as her poops were too soft. I think we might try some of the probiotics or even CBD oil next. 🤷