Cat Having Diarrhea and not eating much

hleeeex3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,

I’m writing this post since I can’t sleep from worrying so much.. My almost 4 yr old cat was acting a bit strange this morning. She woke me up for her first feeding but kept not wanting to eat her usual food the second time around. She was acting completely normal the day before. But today, she’s had diarrhea about 3-times (small amounts) and isn’t eating as much as she usually does. I’m going crazy thinking of what could’ve happened during the night for her to not feel so well. She’s also been extremely restless today and barely got any sleep.. about 5 hours. I’m going to call her vet as soon as they open tomorrow. Anyone have any similar experiences?

Krienze

Officially a cat lady now. No regrets.
Super Cat
Purraise
Animals can get little stomach bugs and colds like people do, so hopefully it's something minor like that! I hope the vet visit is a good one.

Is she drinking water? She could have also eaten something that she shouldn't have eaten.

It's hard to say regarding similar experience because that could be so many different things, I think =(

I wish I could have been more help but please know I'm sending a prayer your way, positive thoughts and crossing my fingers that everything will be okay!

How is she now? I know you posted a few hours ago

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats always give a subtle sign they are not feeling well, yours was not eating like she usually does and being restless. The problem is, it could be a lot of things. I have had cats do this from too many treats, or changing their food. stress can cause it too. Her stomach is most likely bothering her and that is why she is restless. As long as she is eating some, drinking and not hiding, she should get better. If things progress and she starts hiding or having worse diarrhea, definitely bring her in. I'll pray for her.......

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hleeeex3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello! Thank you for your replies.. It’s about 4:30 am here and I went to go check on her and she was awake. Which worries me even more because that probably means she barely slept again.. I’m definitely going to call her vet as soon as they open. She wouldn’t eat her food unless I fed it to her with my hand. She keeps trying to “cover” it by sweeping next to it. I don’t know how this could’ve all happened overnight.. She’s had stomach issues before but her eating never changed and I’m extremely worried because she hasn’t slept.

hleeeex3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Has anyone’s cat been restless and not been able to sleep when they’re not feeling well? My cat probably slept about 4-5 hours in the last 24 hours.. the vet today said she should be fine but I’m getting worried because she’s barely getting any sleep. She’s been having frequent diarrhea since yesterday morning (Sunday). The vet gave us the prescription wet food and told me to force feed her every 4 ish hours. I’m mostly worried abt her restlessness right now though. Anyone have any similar experiences?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I am sorry no one has responded yet with anything similar. What did you take her to the vet for - diarrhea? Did they give her anything for it, or anything else? Restlessness like that would seem to possibly be pain. If you are having to force feed her, I take it she is not eating on her own? More details about what you do know would help.

hleeeex3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. I am sorry no one has responded yet with anything similar. What did you take her to the vet for - diarrhea? Did they give her anything for it, or anything else? Restlessness like that would seem to possibly be pain. If you are having to force feed her, I take it she is not eating on her own? More details about what you do know would help.
Thank you for your reply! I’m so glad to say she’s finally getting some rest :) I took her mainly for diarrhea and restlessness. Just prescription food and gave her some fluids and vitamins since she was dehydrated from going to the bathroom so much. Actually when I came home she was hungry and ate a 1/4 of the can on her own! She seems more like her usual self. The only thing I’d that she’s still having quite a bit of is diarrhea. She poops even if there’s a little that comes out.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This happened to me when my guy had gastroenteritis. He would act hungry, wouldn't eat, and wouldn't settle down. We took him to the vet and he required fluids, antibiotic, and anti-nausea meds.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You can try adding plain canned pumpkin to the canned food to help firm up stools. A better remedy is saccharomyces boullardi, found at the health food store. It has done amazing things for my kitty prone to tummy problems and soft stools and diarrhea. When he's having problems, I give him 1/2 capsule (open and sprinkle on wet food, then mix in) twice a day. As a maintenance dose, he gets about 1/4 of a capsule daily.

hleeeex3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You can try adding plain canned pumpkin to the canned food to help firm up stools. A better remedy is saccharomyces boullardi, found at the health food store. It has done amazing things for my kitty prone to tummy problems and soft stools and diarrhea. When he's having problems, I give him 1/2 capsule (open and sprinkle on wet food, then mix in) twice a day. As a maintenance dose, he gets about 1/4 of a capsule daily.
Hi there thank you for the suggestion! She’s been really sensitive to pumpkin so I’ll definitely take a look at the other suggestions. Oh man I actually just saw her go to the bathroom and was really hoping to see at little bit of firm poop.. she was farting and it was completely liquid... 😔

hleeeex3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Quick update - I just saw her go to the bathroom and she was having a ‘wet fart’ and quite a bit of runny diarrhea (chocolate pudding color). I was hoping it would firm up a bit after eating the prescription food so I’m starting to get worried again.

Krienze

Officially a cat lady now. No regrets.
Super Cat
Purraise
Quick update - I just saw her go to the bathroom and she was having a ‘wet fart’ and quite a bit of runny diarrhea (chocolate pudding color). I was hoping it would firm up a bit after eating the prescription food so I’m starting to get worried again.
Oh no. Maybe this is good though? Hopefully it means she is getting it out of her system?

When are you able to take her to the vet? (everything is open where you're at, right?)

hleeeex3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I hope so.. the only thing is that she’s going to the bathroom like soon after she eats anything so I’m afraid she’s losing all the nutrients.. up until last night she was eating independently but now she doesn’t have much interest in eating. I’ve been in contact with her vet since yesterday and sent a couple of follow up emails. He said that she looks great and no fever and she needs to just flush everything out. But idk I’m worried it could be something else so I’m going to hopefully see if I get another response from him.

hleeeex3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey guys - quick update were going on now day 4 of having diarrhea she went diarrhea about 7-8 times today.. big and small ones. Her bum is now red and raw due to going so often. I might try to take her to the vet again. I’m feeling defeated not knowing what else I could do to help her..

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey guys - quick update were going on now day 4 of having diarrhea she went diarrhea about 7-8 times today.. big and small ones. Her bum is now red and raw due to going so often. I might try to take her to the vet again. I’m feeling defeated not knowing what else I could do to help her..
Didn't they test her stool and/or blood?

Did they give antibiotics?

hleeeex3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Didn't they test her stool and/or blood?

Did they give antibiotics?
Nope neither. She’s been on steroid medication and he said to up the dose but nothing.. I’m hoping to get some answers today.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Didn't they test her stool and/or blood? Did they give antibiotics?
Frankly, I'm surprised they didn't do bloodwork. A week ago our guy stopped eating, was hiding, etc. and, long story short, his pancreas levels were very elevated. I'm not at all implying this is the health problem with your cat but my point is we would not have known had they not done blood work.
I sincerely hope you are able to get some answers and help from your vet. Please keep us posted on your cat's progress. :alright:

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Poor baby! Call the vet and ask for something to stop the diarrhea. Usually, they will prescribe Metronizadole. The food may actually be causing the gas and loose stools. Definitely try the saccharomyces boullardi. We went through this when my sensitive tummy cat had a prednisolone shot last year. We had to feed exclusively his rx food and s.boullardi. It took about 3 days for the diarrhea to stop and then about a month for his poops to be soft formed and then a little longer for consistently firm poops.

tinytangerine

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry to hear your guy is in a rough spot. How has he been since Wednesday? Any more insight or help from your vet?