Cat Hates Tail After Injury

Gmurray

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 2 yo male cat Taj had an accident with a door that resulted in a 3 inch laceration on his tail. He was sedated and was given 6 stitches. The vet also had to shave the last half of his tail for the stitches. Taj is a long hair. This Maine Coon but a little smaller. Since the bandage has come off and the stitches have been removed he is super scared and mad at his tail. If I don’t have his cone on he will look at his tail and either hiss and try and run away or he attacks it. With his cone on he just lays as flat as possible and doesn’t move. He was a preening young stud who strutted around and was the king of the house. Now he’s letting the dogs bully him and freaks out over the littlest thing. Anyone have experience with such a severe behavioral change after injury? The vet has given me compose for now but I’m not seeing much of an improvement.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. Sorry about your Taj's tail injury. How long ago did he injure it? Perhaps it is still causing him some discomfort.

LAL

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If the vet shaved 1/2 of the tail, it may feel weird--like after a person gets a haircut, their head feels lighter. But, this would be times 100 for such an integral part of a cat. [No, not a clue of what to do if that is the problem--other than to wait it out.]

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Gmurray

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. Sorry about your Taj's tail injury. How long ago did he injure it? Perhaps it is still causing him some discomfort.
It’s been only 2 1/2 weeks. His injury has healed nicely wiith what looks to be only minimal scaring.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
If the tail was shut in the door it could very well have been bruised or injured inside as well as out and painful enough so that he keeps hissing at it. Did the vet X-ray his tail?

bluebirdy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is his tail still bare of fur. It could be cold and that could be bothering him (particularly since he is a long hair so it's a big difference). It might be better once the hair grows back in fully.

Did the vet x-ray his tail to make sure there was no damage beyond the skin level?

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is it possible he broke his tail or there is nerve damage? Cat's spine's go into their tail. I would take him to the vet to check for pain & nerve damage.... just in case.