Cat Hates Only One Person? And He's Currently Staying With Us.

Lisannez

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Our 12 year old Ragdoll cat has always been slow to warm to people and skittish compared to her more social sister, but usually after a day or so she warms up and is rubbing against the new hooman's leg looking for attention. But she really dislikes my fiance's best friend. He is the only person she has ever behaved this way towards. We now live across the Country from him, but he still comes to visit a good bit, and he is here with us for the first time in our new home for a week. She has known him for about 10 years, and from the start she hissed at him anytime she saw him and ran away. We cannot calm her. She will not even be present in the same room he is in. He is by all accounts a great guy, he does not own any animals, but he loves them, and our other cat is all over him when he's here like she's his best friend. He feels horrible that she hates him. He is here for a week and the past few days have been brutal. She is hiding under the bed, won't come out to eat, and now hisses at not just him but everyone in the house. This morning she threw up what little food she had eaten (she does that when she's upset). I have to stand over her to get her to eat at all. My suggestion is that we put a litter box and food in a room and let her in there alone until he leaves, with only myself and my fiance going in to see her. But it's almost like she wants to see what's going on, so if we put her in the room, she cries and keeps everyone awake. She's also never been constrained to one room. We have tried everything. We sit next to him, touch him, show her that he's an okay guy, but she just won't give, this has been going on for years. He even used to come feed them when we were away. She would hiss and hide. We can only figure that years ago he did something that no one can think of that for some reason scared her. Can we change this? I feel bad that she is stressed out, but I also am not going to tell my fiance his best friend cannot come to our house. He has to stay the night because he lives so far away. Thanks.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He could try wearing something with your fiance's smell on, a t-shirt or jumper or even aftershave, rubbing catnip on his hands might help. It does sound as if something might have happened triggeted this reaction but I doubt you will find put what.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lisannez

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He could try wearing something with your fiance's smell on, a t-shirt or jumper or even aftershave, rubbing catnip on his hands might help. It does sound as if something might have happened triggeted this reaction but I doubt you will find put what.
I had not thought of this. She does love cat nip. I will try this. Fingers crossed.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn’t assume he did anything to her. It could something as small as his smell that makes her nervous. In addition to leaving her food and litterbox in their usual location, I would also put food, litter box etc in another room but leave the door cracked open. That way she can retreat or come out as she feels like it. Other than that I would tell him to totally ignore her and you and your spouse act as you normally would with her if she comes out.

If she likes catnip I would leave a little pile for her in her safe room. Most cats will eat it and it mellows them out.