Cat hates carrier - nothing has worked

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Casper hates his carrier, too.

He turns into a ball of flying claws when we try to put him in.

There is no such thing as luring him in with treats or enticing him to go by himself. The only way to do it is the "Scoop and Go" method. Wait until he's calm or napping. One person waits, out of sight, with carrier at the ready. Another person quickly scoops him up and drops him into the waiting carrier before he knows what happened.

If you flip him over on his back so that his claws go in last there is less chance of him hooking onto the carrier in a last-ditch attempt at resisting.

Just do it quickly and efficiently. It'll be over before he even realizes.

You can put a towel or blanket inside to make the cat more comfy.

A worn but unwashed T-shirt that smells like you can also help make him feel less stressed.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Maggie is the only one that isnt so difficult. Maybe because when I rescued her I kept her in an enclosed bed,rectangle shaped with one opening in my bathroom
Or she's just well behaved, even polite!

mommytobuck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have this problem too. I wish someone would make a solution. All carrier companies have to do is make the top opening wider.

I went to Wallmart though and bought a large plastic container. It has a large opening on the top. I put holes in the container and on the top. Then put rug on the bottom. I put the plastic container around a corner or something and pick my cat up and drop him in. I hold him there and then put the top on quickly. The next time I try this I am going to use the gabapentin that my vet gave me. I think it will work to make him slower.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Casper hates his carrier, too.

He turns into a ball of flying claws when we try to put him in.

There is no such thing as luring him in with treats or enticing him to go by himself. The only way to do it is the "Scoop and Go" method. Wait until he's calm or napping. One person waits, out of sight, with carrier at the ready. Another person quickly scoops him up and drops him into the waiting carrier before he knows what happened.

If you flip him over on his back so that his claws go in last there is less chance of him hooking onto the carrier in a last-ditch attempt at resisting.

Just do it quickly and efficiently. It'll be over before he even realizes.

You can put a towel or blanket inside to make the cat more comfy.

A worn but unwashed T-shirt that smells like you can also help make him feel less stressed.
This is my method with our kitten, Luna. Our older girl isn't crazy about it but she does not put up a fight. But Luna? OMG. She's extremely uncooperative and gets very angry and vocal - downright fractious and it's really not her normal character. I've found that involving my husband makes it worse so I pretty much do your method myself now adding in bribing with treats first. I lure her to the kitchen, stuff her up with nom noms and then scoop her up, petting her and cuddling her with her head tucked under my arms and while she's kind of treat drunk, I dump her into the open carrier before she realizes it - ours is the kind that has an option for putting them in from the top also which is much easier too.

She puts up a fuss once inside but, as least she is in. Coming back is never a problem. By that time she's thrilled to get INSIDE the carrier and away from the vet :p

It's weird because when she was really young, she wasn't like this. It started after she was spayed so I think there's some residual bad memories from that day she's stored inside her. It's amazing how they can remember these kinds of things.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
M mommytobuck - I have this cat carrier and it opens from the top - pretty much the entire length of the carrier, as well as a side opening. It is also very roomy, as Feeby, even when she was over 18 pounds fit very comfortably in it. If you click on the link, one of the pics shows how much the top opens. Now, I actually wouldn't mind finding one just like this, but has openings on each side as well as the top!

Last edited:

mommytobuck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
M mommytobuck - I have this cat carrier and it opens from the top - pretty much the entire length of the carrier, as well as a side opening. It is also very roomy, as Feeby, even when she was over 18 pounds fit very comfortably in it. If you click on the link, one of the pics shows how much the top opens. Now, I actually wouldn't mind finding one just like this, but has openings on each side as well as the top!
Thanks but it is soft sided and that would not work for my cat. He has tried to get out of carriers that are soft sided.