:( Cat hasn't eaten in three days

takas

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My poor baby hasn't been eating for 3 days. The vet did blood work and he has low electrolytes and low protein levels. We have to take him tomorrow to get him hooked up than iv and get an x Ray im so scared stressed and depressed. I don't want to lose my little baby. Does anyone have had this happen to their cat? What could he have?

2cats4me

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My poor baby hasn't been eating for 3 days. The vet did blood work and he has low electrolytes and low protein levels. We have to take him tomorrow to get him hooked up than iv and get an x Ray im so scared stressed and depressed. I don't want to lose my little baby. Does anyone have had this happen to their cat? What could he have?
I am so sorry your baby is sick .. I am glad he is going to the vet ..  I hope they can find out what the issue is .  Please keep us updated ..

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Has he had the xray yet?  Did they advise you to force feed him in the meantime?  Or did they do any sub-q fluids for him during his initial visit to hydrate him? 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

takas

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He is on fluids X-rays came fine. Turns out the poor baby was constipated

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Whew!   At least there's a good reason that's not life threatening
  Did they clean him out?  Is he eating now?   Did they give you advise on how to prevent this in the future?  We can definitely help there, although right now I'm headed out the door, but I have had a chronically constipated cat in the past, so do have some experience with this.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The good news is that constipation is very treatable!  Adding plain canned pumpkin and lots of wet food to his diet is a good place to start.  Hope your baby is on the mend soon. 

takas

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He stayed at the vet overnight to get more fluids since he didn't eat for almost 4 days they will tell us everything tomorrow. How did you treat it

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There's medication such as Lactulose, which is a liquid.  You can give Metamucil.  The best thing we did for our kitties was to drastically cut the amount of dry food we fed and upped the amount of canned food and added in plain canned pumpkin.  We buy canned pumpkin by the flat and stock up when it's on sale.  You can also add some water to wet food, which helps soften stool and helps it pass.  Also, going to a grain-free canned and dry will help.

takas

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He has been eating canned food so maybe the food did t have as much fiber

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Add some plain canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie spice), about 1 teaspoon twice a day. Not all kitties like it, so you might want to start with less.  Also add some water to help soften the stool and try some grain free food and see if that helps.

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

Add some plain canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie spice), about 1 teaspoon twice a day. Not all kitties like it, so you might want to start with less.  Also add some water to help soften the stool and try some grain free food and see if that helps.
IF he doesn't like the pumpkin, you can try using Miralax.  That's the only thing that kept my guy regular.  We used 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon twice a day, every day.  Just mixed it with about 1 teas. water, then mixed it into his food.  It's completely odorless and tasteless, and doesn't gel up like most of those type of things.  Works like a charm. 

takas

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is miralax safe for cats? He seems to be still constipated and pooping outside his litter box

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes.  I gave it to my kitty who had kidney issues and chronic constipation. Start off with 1/8 teaspoon twice a day, then work up to 1/2 t a day.

takas

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Everyday for the rest of his life? He's been eating wellness wet food

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Possibly.  You will want to do it until he's regular for about a month, then taper it off and see how he does.  I have the opposite problem with Wellness canned food. It causes stinky, loose poops in my kitties.  If you're not feeding the grain-free varieties, you might try feeding those exclusively and see if that helps.  Sometimes the grains can cause constipation. Also, add a couple of teaspoons of water to the wet food to make it about the consistency of thick oatmeal.  Maybe the additional liquid will help.  I'd start with plain canned pumpkin twice a day and see if that works.  It's natural and healthier for them.

arielthechunk22

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Whe. My cat had to eat wet cat food that would help him feel better, HE would NOT eat it,
So I still have like eight cans that the vet gave us, he is better now, but I dont know what to do with this food.
:p

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Everyday for the rest of his life? He's been eating wellness wet food
Did you take a peak at that thread StephanieTX referenced above regarding using Slippery Elm Bark.  The cat that the thread was initially about ate Wellness, and as soon as his food was switched, his issues got better.   Are you feeding regular Wellness or CORE?  I feed Wellness (both varieties) to just one of my cats as part of her rotation...the other two won't touch it with a ten foot pole
   I do notice the Wellness is so thick I have to add lots of water to it to thin it down enough so she'll eat it. 
Whe. My cat had to eat wet cat food that would help him feel better, HE would NOT eat it,
So I still have like eight cans that the vet gave us, he is better now, but I dont know what to do with this food.
:p
You could see if your Vet will take it back.  If not, you can donate it to a local shelter