Cat has URI but does not seem to be improving

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

justjoe906

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
UPDATE:

It has been 3 months now since my 7 month old cat was diagnosed with Upper Respiratory Infection. As noted he has been back and forth to the same Vet 4 times.

3 different antibiotics over this 3 month period. Over this period he gradually became worse.

It was to the point that both nostrils either stayed plugged or was freely draining. We tried everything, nose drops, humidifier, steam in the bathroom etc etc.

He refused to drink or eat anything no matter what we tried feeding him. We had to resort to force feeding him with a syringe including water.

The vet we were using kept switching antibiotics and insisted that it was an Upper Respiratory Infection and nothing else. She said she just needed to find the right medicine that would work on him.

After 3 months of seeing him going down we decided enough was enough and took him to another vet for a second opinion. He would sleep all day and had zero energy.

This new Vet looked at him and immediately had a suspicion of what the problem was, and she was right.

He had a Polyp in his nose that was causing the problem. She removed the Polyp and said it was the biggest one that she has ever seen in such a small cat.

He was kept overnight after the Polyp was removed. When I got him back home and let him out of his carrier he made a bee-line straight for his food bowl.

He has completely recovered and is now back to normal. Eating and drinking like a horse and ruling the house.

I've learned a valuable lesson, don't wait so long for a second opinion. I truly believe if I would not have taken him to the 2nd Vet that he would have died a slow death.