Cat has swollen nose bridge and I’m FREAKING out

Mariamalkinani

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello!
I am currently freaking out. My cat simba was in my garage for about an hour because I had an elderly guest who was severely allergic. Simba loves being in the garage because it’s set up with a bunch of cat toys and climbers. However, when I took him out, I noticed the bridge of his nose was abnormally wider. He has no other symptoms though. He eats normally, plays normally, drinks normally, he is just completely normal. I did go into the garage to do some investigating, and I found a pile of ants. I don’t know if that is the reason, but its 3am and I can’t sleep because I’m worried sick. Please help me out, anyone. Has anyone had a similar experience? Could this possibly be an ant bite, or an insect bite in general? Is this considered an emergency? Help.

He just turned one in July, by the way!

His upper lip also is swollen.

Attachments

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello!
I am currently freaking out. My cat simba was in my garage for about an hour because I had an elderly guest who was severely allergic. Simba loves being in the garage because it’s set up with a bunch of cat toys and climbers. However, when I took him out, I noticed the bridge of his nose was abnormally wider. He has no other symptoms though. He eats normally, plays normally, drinks normally, he is just completely normal. I did go into the garage to do some investigating, and I found a pile of ants. I don’t know if that is the reason, but its 3am and I can’t sleep because I’m worried sick. Please help me out, anyone. Has anyone had a similar experience? Could this possibly be an ant bite, or an insect bite in general? Is this considered an emergency? Help.

He just turned one in July, by the way!

His upper lip also is swollen.
Hello M Mariamalkinani and Simba, and welcome to TCS! Your little Lion Kinglet is very handsome! and I can't see anything wrong; but then, I haven't seen any "before" pix. If he does look different, and/or is exhibiting any signs of discomfort, a vet visit is in order. And yes, ants secrete formic acid which some people and probably cats as well may be allergic to. Other posters have good suggestions. I wouldn't think it would be an emergency if he is not showing signs of discomfort, lethargy or other reaction. But he might get checked by a vet. Please keep us informed! and best wishes, thoughts, and *Prayers* for Simba! :redheartpump: :redcat::redheartpump:

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Where do you live?

What kind of stinging, biting or venomous creatures live in your area?

A bee sting might cause swelling like that, especially if your cat is sensitive to stings.
Ant stings might cause the same reaction, depending on the kind of ant. (Fire ants vs. sugar ants, for example.)

Many species of ants do spray formic acid but they don't inject it. They spray it as a defense to ward off attackers.
Formic acid is chemically similar to acetic acid (vinegar) and has relatively low toxicity but it can cause allergic reactions.
I wouldn't expect formic acid to cause such a reaction in your cat unless he is allergic to it but, if that was true, there would be stinging and itching as well as other common allergic symptoms.

I wouldn't expect spiders, scorpions or other such things to cause a reaction like your depict but, without knowing what kinds of creatures your cat could have tangled with, it's only a guessing game.

The two things that come to my mind would be bee sting or a bump on the head.

I would definitely call your vet and see what they have to say. If they think it's a good idea to bring him in, yes, take him to the vet.

In the mean time, do the usual. Try to find a bite mark or a sting if the cat will let you. Clean the area with water and a cloth if you can.

Beyond that, watch and be ready to act if you need to. Look for signs of illness or allergic reaction. Watch for bleeding or signs of injury. Keep an eye on his behavior, eating habits and litter box schedule. If everything is normal and your cat gets better, you're good! :)

I you have any trouble, get right on the phone to the vet.

Thoughts and prayers be with you! :)

Krienze

Officially a cat lady now. No regrets.
Super Cat
Purraise
Is he able to breathe okay?

Sammy, a few months ago, had a similar situation but it was his bottom lip that was swollen. As long as he can breathe okay, keep an eye on him. If you're worried then yes! def consider talking to your vet at least but with Sam, I noticed it go down within about a half a weeks time.

I also put coconut oil on it though - i don't actually know if that helped or not, however.

How is Simba doing? He's a beautiful baby