Cat Has Stuffy Nose And Keeps Sneezing

Emma2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone, since 2 days my cat keeps having sneezing attacks and his nose is stuffy, he's also drooling because sometimes he breaths with his mouth.

He ate a little, he tries to act as usual but he seems tired and the sneezing is bothering him (he sneezes even when sleeping), sometimes after he sneezes, he seems more comfortable and he starts breathing with his nose, but then after a moment his nose becomes stuffy again.

Are there any home remedies that can help him with his stuffy nose? i tried the steamy shower thing but he just don't want to stay there.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think i would have a vet check. It could be allergies, or he could have an upper respiratory infection, or something else, Really hard to know without a vet check.

Another thing to make sure of at home, as dust free litter as you can find, unscented as well. If you are using clay you may want to try one of the biodegradable litters out now? I really like the newer grass litters, i use abound that i pick up from Kroger. I know there are several brands out now. I also like Litter maid walnut litter that i get from walmart.

Keep us updated on how he is doing.

Yodasmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My sister's cat just had the same problem and it turned out to be allergies. But you should let the vet take a look just to be sure. It could also be a cold.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Emma2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think i would have a vet check. It could be allergies, or he could have an upper respiratory infection, or something else, Really hard to know without a vet check.

Another thing to make sure of at home, as dust free litter as you can find, unscented as well. If you are using clay you may want to try one of the biodegradable litters out now? I really like the newer grass litters, i use abound that i pick up from Kroger. I know there are several brands out now. I also like Litter maid walnut litter that i get from walmart.

Keep us updated on how he is doing.
I thought it was allergies too, because this year, there are a lot of plants outside especially Mimosa so their flowers are everywhere (i noticed the stray cats outside sneezing with their fur full of flowers and dust).

I'll try to switch it's litter, i'm not sure the grass litters are available here in Algeria (I've never seen them in stores).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Emma2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My sister's cat just had the same problem and it turned out to be allergies. But you should let the vet take a look just to be sure. It could also be a cold.
Today is the week-end in my country, so the vet don't work, but i'll try to take him tomorrow.

He always get allergies around this time of the year, he sneezes occasionally and his eyes become red and watery, but this time his eyes are not red and he sneezes a lot, he's trying to sleep now but he keeps sneezing every 20 seconds.

So how's your sister's cat doing now? did he get better? did the vet gave her any tips to help him with the sneeze and the stuffy nose?

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I'm sorry your cat is showing signs of allergies but as the above members have recommended please contact your vet after the weekend since they are closed until Monday. In the meantime here is a thread that discusses allergies in cats: Allergies
Also a helpful Article for your reference just in case the sneezing is symptomatic of an upper respiratory condition: Feline Herpes And Rhinotracheitis

Best of luck, with your cat. I hope he can get some relief soon. :alright: