Cat Has Stinky Breath

deweysmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 7 month old kitten has really stinky breath. He has been to the vet recently and hes healthy, his teeth and gums look completely normal. I even brush his teeth everyday, but it still smells. It almost smells a bit like poop.(And no he doesn't eat his poop)

Do some cats just have stinky breath?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi - thanks for coming here!
I'm not a vet and I can't really speak to whether or not he should still be on kitten food, I think I've read that at 7 months adult food is ok, but keep in mind that the carbs and protein ratios are different - kitten formulas have extra fats and proteins to support their healthy growth.
You could try All Life Stages food, if the two you mentioned above are not and see if that makes any different.
Also, I had good results reducing bad breath as well as bad smelling poo by introducing a couple nuggets of a store bought thawed out raw food into the Big Guy's menu. Good luck!

emptywallet

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I want you to know I am not a Vet and in no way do I want to alarm you but has your cat had any type of blood sugar, or kidney function tests ? We experienced really twice on two different cats and fortunately caught diabetes early on for one but not the case for the second friend as he was in final stages of renal failure. He went from active playing, engaging with other cats and us to no eating for a couple days then bad breath. His name was Rollo and a very cherished family member.