Cat Has Raspy Meows When Waking Up

LowCalCalzone

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all! Was wondering if anyone had experience to something similar to this. My 2-year-old cat has always occasionally had raspy coughs. She would do this more frequently when we first adopted her but has gotten better over the last 6 months that we've had her. She still has these coughs, but she only has them once or twice a week. Now we've been noticing that when she wakes up from a nap, her meows are very raspy. This has happened occasionally, but sometimes when she gets up her voice is barely existent. It does slowly come back after a few minutes, but does anyone know why this is? I already called the vet and they said they would get back to me, but she's also a very vocal cat and they think she might have just worn out of voice box.

It's definitely possible, but she still does have a cough every now and then. She doesn't drink a ton of water but has a diet of only wet food so maybe this is why. Otherwise she eats and plays and is totally normal.

LuxBear

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is she prone to hairballs? One of mine has occasional hairballs and when he has a piece of hair stuck in his throat he seems to have a low, raspy meow like that. Once I give him a lick of Catlax to clear the hair it goes away.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LowCalCalzone

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Every now and then but not very often. She doesn't usually seem to have a problem with hairballs, but I'll try the Catlax!

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does she throw up, if yes how frequently? Do you see any wet burps especially shortly after she eats -- like how it happens to humans sometimes too you burp but a little liquid/food comes back up and you swallow right back? If yes to any of these she has a digestive problem. It could be something easier to fix, like a food intolerance.

Some digestive issues (IBS, gastritis, acid reflux to name a few) and dental problems might cause overly salivating and/or too much stomach acids. Or hairballs, as mentioned.