Cat has progressing HCM

10thomer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all, unfortunately not the best update for my 7 y.o. boy Lewis :( He was originally diagnosed with HCM in May of this year when the vet heard a murmur before he went in for a dental. An echo performed by a cardiologist confirmed HCM, although it was at an early stage (no left atrial dilation).

We took him in for his 6 month follow-up echo and unfortunately it's progressed, and now he has mild-moderate atrial dilation. The cardiologist put him on plavix (anti-coagulant to prevent clotting) and enalapril (ace inhibitor to hopefully slow progression to chronic heart failure).

This has been extraordinarily tough on me, and it's hard to get through the day knowing that he could throw a clot or go into CHF at any moment. I'm already active on the Special Hearts page on facebook, but was just hoping people could share their experiences/any advice if you've been in a similar situation.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am sorry it's progressing. :( I haven't used Plavix, but I've used Enalapril before. I never saw any side effects, and it seemed to do it's job as mine with a heart problem lived for years after being put on it. Later, he was also on Lasix, but we were able to decrease the dose over time once his symptoms were under control. Does he have any symptoms that you notice on a daily basis?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

10thomer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am sorry it's progressing. :( I haven't used Plavix, but I've used Enalapril before. I never saw any side effects, and it seemed to do it's job as mine with a heart problem lived for years after being put on it. Later, he was also on Lasix, but we were able to decrease the dose over time once his symptoms were under control. Does he have any symptoms that you notice on a daily basis?
Amazing, that's great news! I've been reading the prognoses online and it's depressing, so to hear yours survived for years is reassuring. Was your cat initially diagnosed with CHF and HCM or just HCM? Did he ultimately pass from CHF or something else?

No symptoms, it's like nothing is wrong with him at all! It was an incidental finding, we're very lucky the vet discovered it.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Amazing, that's great news! I've been reading the prognoses online and it's depressing, so to hear yours survived for years is reassuring. Was your cat initially diagnosed with CHF and HCM or just HCM? Did he ultimately pass from CHF or something else?

No symptoms, it's like nothing is wrong with him at all! It was an incidental finding, we're very lucky the vet discovered it.
Mine didn't have HCM, but MVD, but the medications really helped. He did pass from CHF, but he was almost 15 and had been showing symptoms for years. It's great that your cat isn't even showing symptoms, and it's wonderful you caught it and can treat it early before it caused him problems!