Cat has poop leaking

aharless

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The last 2 weeks my cat has been having BM leak from his butt. He licks his behind all the time and his color doesn't look good. He eats good. He drinks normally. He purrs a lot. He wants to love on us but when he tries we wind up with poop on us. I am constantly having to clean up after him and wash bedding and furniture and such. What can cause this. We have not taken him to the vet yet. Hoping it can be a cheaper fix. Any thoughts?

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Loose bowels can be caused by any number of things, including internal parasites that humans can catch from their pets. Any persistent diarrhea should be checked out by a vet, for your cat's sake and your own.

momofmaxwell

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi.what are you seeing in the litterbox as per logs.First step.Observation.Is kitty using the litterbox or does/he/she go outside.if so you may want to keep him inside for awhile to observe.What diet are you feeding? How old is your babe? Cats have two sphincters.An inner & an outer.you first have to see how his bowel movements in the toilet are first.If you can get a fresh log take it to the vet to check for parasites etc.He can actually be constipated believe it or not.licking the behind stimulates his anus & they can push liquid past hard rocks.Check the toilet first.That is key.Then if you hear digging & you see him go take that stool onto a a paper towel with gloves if you like & observe.It should be soft.Not hard logs.Put it in a baggy & take it to the vet.Keep in your fridge if you can't get there right away.Fresher the better.No it is not normal and can be a whole bunch of things i won't even go into yet.Pls observe.They can get all kinds of anal problems.Anal glands which will look like poo to you but actually isn't.We actually just had a member here with a kitty with a ruptured one.Not good.So observe first the toilet to see if he is having BM's and they are soft logs not splat.Take a sample in to confirm there are no parasites/blood etc of any kind.And yes while we try not to pay those big vet bills sometimes it is a must.Your kitty is exhibiting not a normal problem.We often as humans pay attention to them eating ,drinking,activity.missing the litterbox dept.Yes there is always something in it.But what?? What was it like when it came out? If you have more than one kitty you may have to separate them to see.I know you wish I had an answer that was easy.I know.But do your best.Your kitty is not doing anything that is normal.HTH Honey.Hugs to the Babe.C.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This kitty doesn't happen to be a Manx or Manx type kitty (tailless) is it?

Last edited: