Cat Has Not Eaten

MurderComplication

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi;

I just adopted a new three year - almost four year old cat a few days ago. She has been great, immediately drank, warmed up to me and jumped in my lap after 10 minutes of being home. Sleeps with me at night. But, her food has been untouched. I have given her a little of wet food which she has smelled but not tried. She also has the same food that she was fed at the shelter (dry) which has not been touched. I finally got her to have a few treats this morning, but she only ate two and didn't touch the others I left for her.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MurderComplication

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I heard her when I came home have a few bites to eat, but not much. She did eat a few more treats from my hand (though I don't want to get her dependent on treats...). She does have a vet visit on Tuesday since we get a free one with the BCSPCA.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MurderComplication

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I took her to the vet, she ate kitten kibble the vet gave her....
Went home and opened a can of Fancy Feast to see if they would spark her - yep. Ate half the can, still wont touch the shelter food though.

Rustic Lily

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Glad to hear kitty is eating a little bit. I just wanted to jump in on canned food. My baby boy is on all wet diet since dry gives him uti and crystals. You just need to be careful with canned food. Obviously if kitty is eating then stick with it. But if you do have to go to cans do your research . They shove a lot of garbage in canned food. Carageenan is a huge no no. It causes intestinal cancer. Agar-agar is basically the same too, so read your labels if you have to stay with wet food

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I took her to the vet, she ate kitten kibble the vet gave her....
Went home and opened a can of Fancy Feast to see if they would spark her - yep. Ate half the can, still wont touch the shelter food though.
This happened with our most recently adopted, Elvis, too, because he had been with his dad and family all his life as far as I know and was rehomed with us. Elvis had been an "only cat" with a dog buddy, and he joined our all-cat, multi-cat family. He was very sad and lonely without his loved ones, and of course stayed in his own room for the first few days, with frequent visits from me. He had been on Blue Buffalo dry food only. I feed wet food 3 times a day and have high quality dry for free choice snacks. It took him awhile to get used to this change, but he is THRIVING and loves his wet foods. His dad left a good amount of his dry food with me, so he had that available until he finished it all, along with the wet, which he took to right away. Cats must eat something daily as they can become very sick if they don't. As long as she is eating something, and you do a gradual switchover from the shelter provided food to a better quality wet food variety, she should be well, although I would definitely get her a vet checkup just as the normal thing to do after adopting. Keep us informed, and best, best luck!

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Good! Thanks for letting us know. Throw that shelter food out or give it back. It might be stale for all you know.
I know Fancy Feast is not the highest rated food but my vet told me don't be ashamed to give that to your cat and that's what I fed my cat and continued to feed the one. I agree with the post above that guar gum and carageenan is very bad but about the only food that doesn't have it in is certain brands of grain free. It's very difficult to find a food that doesn't have that in it. Not impossible, but difficult, and it's usually high end food so you will end up paying a lot for it. My cat developed IBD. Whether it was from the gums in the food, no one knows. I did find that certain flavors of Purina One canned do not have carageenan in them.