Cat has missing claws, what should I do next?

the catsage

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok so today I noticed my cat has a few nails missing on his back feet. Yesterday he had them and today he doesn't. He's using the litterbox, he's jumping, not showing absolutely any sign of discomfort until touched. Even I feel hurt when I see him jumping like that. But when I push his paw to get the claws out he retracts it, obviously feeling pain. Vet told me to wait it out but I am not sure what to do. What I see is swollen muscle tissue and I found some blood stain on the rug. I can't take a picture because it would cause him pain. I see absolutely no sign that a nail was even there. Just swollen muscle tissue. It's the same on 3 nails. 2 on the right paw, 1 on the left and they're his longest back claws so I believe it is not a disease, he got them stuck somewhere and atm I am looking for them around the house to make sure.

We do not trim his back nails. He lives indoors all the time. He's only been in 2 rooms since I last saw his nails were there. Because of how quickly it happened (within less than 24 hours) and the nails that got affected, I think he got injured and it is not a disease. However, I am not sure how to proceed next. Will the claws grow back? Anyone got experience with this?

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sounds most certainly an injury and not a disease. It's not unheard of for cats to rip out their claws either. My one cat Wiggies got into a fight with the neighbour's cat quite a few years ago and he got one of his front nails ripped out. The vet told me the same thing - take a wait and see approach. He wasn't otherwise injured (just his pride silly boy). It grew back, but has always been a bit crooked there. I suspect it's more sensitive too as he flinches a bit when I trim that nail whereas he's not bothered by the other ones.
Keep an eye out for infection (that would be my concern) and an increase in pain. At least your vet has been informed, so if he worsens you should get a quick appointment with them?

Last edited:

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Claws should grow back and you do want to keep looking to figure out what happened. Likely, they got caught on some fabric and pulled off when trying to get free. Just to take steps to prevent a repeat occurrence. I seriously doubt it was anything medically caused. If he allows you to keep the area clean and check for infection daily (try some Betadine mixed in water to clean or apply a thin layer of neosporine without any pain reliever or other additives in it).

As long as an infection doesn't set in there isn't much else to do but wait. If you see any redness or swelling (beyond what he has now) or notice any puss that is when you take him into a vet for antibiotics. Also if he starts to limp or show discomfort it could be a sign of an infection deeper that hasn't reached the surface.

I really wish there was more to do but regardless of species missing nails (and toe damage in general) are just a patience and prevent infection thing. I once damaged my both my big toes through a very long drawn out story. I had black and blue nails and couldn't wear closed shoes for almost two months. I really don't know how the nails stayed on looking back at it. To this day, 10+ years later, my nails still don't grow completely right, I have lasting nerve damage on one that is still slowly coming back, and both toes will crack and pop any time I move them (and start to hurt if I don't). But even in my case there wasn't anything to do but wait because nothing could be done to help but wait for my body to heal. 

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

the catsage

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey guys, thanks for the replies.

Where I live vets aren't very busy, we don't even need appointments so we're good in that front.

I was just worried that the claws may not grow back because he enjoys jumping and climbing around the house a lot, it would be a shame for him not to be able to do what he likes anymore, he's not even 1 year old yet. I talked to the vet through phone and explained the situation and he didn't say anything other than "dont worry he will be fine, bring him in case you suspect it's getting infected but it should heal on its own" etc. My biggest worry was that part quick is gone and I thought that had something to do with claws growing back. I'm relieved to hear that other cats recovered well from a similar condition. I have to admit, I panicked when I saw the injury for the first time.

For the future after things are back to normal, should I trim his back claws too to prevent them getting stuck on fabrics etc? I only do the tip of the front ones when they get too sharp cause he loves to destroy stuff and by trimming the claws weekly or biweekly, damage is minimized. I used to trim his back claws too but I realized the quick was too close to the tip and stopped doing it to prevent accidents with the quick. Maybe if I trim them it will be safer for him in the future?

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My bubba ripped a claw out somehow and he had that angry little nub that is usually the quick within the nail. The vet gave him a shot of covenia for antibiotic protection over the next two weeks while it calmed down. Conveniently it was on a front paw and Tommy has ridiculous toilet habits. He pretty much never digs or buries in the litter box, so it had less chances of staying irritated. 

Oh and I usually never trim the back claws on a cat with all four paws in tact. Everyone gets their front nails clipped ever 4-5 weeks and usually just taking about 3-4 mm off the ends.

The hospital blunted his nails the last time he went to emergency overnight. I guess they didn't want him damaging his ivs or catheters.

Last edited:

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise
When Shadow came to me, she had a mostly missing claw.  The vet said to soak the foot in warm salt water either two or three times a day (sorry, it's been 15 years).  The claw came back just fine.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

the catsage

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Cheers all for the replies. Just wanted to make an update, the redness and swelling is gone and the claws are slowly but nicely growing back. And luckily there is no infection. I think the risk of infection is gone cause it appears the wound is sealed by nail now but I'll keep cleaning it just in case.