Cat Has Mild Gingivitis And Tartar, But Vet Won't Do A Dental Cleaning?

Rede

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone! I've lurked on this site for quite some time, but now I find myself seeking opinions regarding my own experience. I'm the proud cat mom of a 13 month old Norwegian Forest Cat and a 2 year old Ragdoll. Recently, my husband and I noticed my NFC's gums were a bit red and inflamed. Upon further inspection, we also found she had some mild tartar build up. Of course, just to air on the side of caution, we decided to make a vet appointment.

To put it simply, we were told both by phone and during our appointment that a dental had to be recommended. We can't just schedule an appointment unless our vet's office deems it necessary. When the vet looked our cat, she told us that she indeed does have gingivitis and tartar. However, it wasn't severe enough for her to do a dental cleaning on her.

My question is, is this normal procedure for dental cleanings? Growing up, I had A LOT of cats (my mom still has 8 LOL). However, dental care was never made a priority. I want to make sure my cats teeth are taken care of and I'd love to hear about other people's experiences. Is it normal for them to leave mild tartar/gingivitis like this? Would it be wise to look for a different veterinarian?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can share their experience and/or answer my questions. =)

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would definitely get another opinion. I don't understand why the vet has to recommend a cleaning, the clinic up here does them. The only problem with a cleaning is that the animal has to be put under. There is always a risk when under anesthesia.
I personally just started using Proden Plaqueoff on my dogs. It's only been a couple of weeks and I've already seen a small difference. (it takes about 8 weeks to notice a difference). But if your cat's gums are inflamed, you want to get a vet or clinic to look at them.
Bad teeth can cause all sorts of problems in the digestive tract.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'd have another vet take a look at the cat's teeth and schedule a dental cleaning with him / her. Look for a veterinary dentist if possible.

maddies momma

TCS member, Crazy Cat Lady!
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would definitely find another vet!! A vet should understand and encourage the importance of professional cleanings to keep teeth healthy. Having it done while the tartar is mild means it will be an easy procedure and finished quickly. Waiting until it's a problem is not the way to go