Cat has lumps of fur falling off (pictures)

hugovaz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, so my cat has some sortve white specks on her back with lumps of fur falling off. She does seem to have a bit of pain back there as well, wondering what the best way of treating this is? I'm new with cats btw.

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Is this a recent development? The white specks could be cat dander/dandruff from dry skin in general or some sort of health issue causing the dry skin. She may be scratching at that area because it is itchy which could explain the hair coming out. Sometimes dry skin can be treated by giving your cat an omega 3 fatty acid supplement - fish oils, that can be put in her food or taken in pill form if she will take pills.

It could also be some form of parasite - especially if she goes outside. I would check her for dander/white specks in other areas of her body as well. If you don't brush her, you might start doing so as that will sometimes help with dry skin - you are spreading the natural oils in her skin with the brush.

Pain can cause a cat to pay extra attention to the area that hurts through licking and scratching too. What is the back pain from - arthritis? If so, is she taking any kind of joint supplement? Also, arthritis is more common in older cats, and if your girl hasn't seen a vet recently, it might be a good idea to get her in for a vet checkup - as asked above - especially so you can show them the white specks/loss of hair.