Cat has just fallen between the fridge freezer and the wall 6ft or so

glittercat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My accident prone creature Feora has just fallen off the top of the fridge freezer, in the gap between the appliance and the wall.

I used to have it in the 'middle' of the space between the counter and the wall, but Feora jumped down behind it one day and couldn't get back out, so I pushed it over to one side a bit so that she wouldn't get stuck and there is a bit of room for her to get out. Unfortunately this has left a space on one side.

She jumped onto the top of the FF fromthe counter and did her usual 'I'm really cute pet me' but she rolled over and before I could reach her she basically rolled right off the edge.

I reckon It's about a 6ft drop - the gap is quite narrow though.

She seems to be completely fine as far as I can tell and doesn't seem to have hurt herself. However she has been on cage rest since 1 Oct following corrective spay surgery and only came out from that completely last Saturday. So I guess I am paranoid that she might have done something I can't see, as although all wounds etc healed after surgery, she does still have a squishy lump on her tummy.

I'm guessing just to keep her quiet and just keep an eye out? She is on the kitchen window sill at the moment batting at a tiny bug....

Sorry for long post but she always seems to be getting into scrapes...

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I'm guessing just to keep her quiet and just keep an eye out?
Yes, I would agree. :agree: Keep an eye on her and watch closely for any changes. Cats are pretty agile and hopefully she's none the worst for wear. Due to her recent spay surgery I would suggest calling the vet to alert them and ask if there's anything else you should be aware of or do for her. Fingers crossed she's okay but please keep us posted.:crossfingers:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Hopefully she is OK! When you call the vet to tell them of her latest 'venture', you might want to mention the 'squishy lump on her tummy' in case they think they should take a look at it. Or, perhaps sending them a pic of it would be helpful, if they accept them.

Last edited:

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Everyone has great suggestions! After she is healed, cats can jump down that high, some can some not. But they will look for steps to go down. If they think it's to risky they will ask for help. So I try to leave furniture and stove somewhat clear like you were doing. I am not very good at that!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

glittercat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks all. She has spent the last couple hours asleep on my chest and is now eating.

Her cage rest wouldn't have been anywhere near as long but she got out of her cage about 4 days after the op and hurtled around the house. She's twisty and athletic! This resulted in a really hugely swollen tummy and worries about herniation. That turned out to be OK after several appointments including two ultrasounds but she still does have a squidgy bump.

Cage rest was gradually reduced and I packed things away last Sunday. I have also flattened out a strong cardboard box and have spread this out on top of the FF to try and bridge the gap. (I think she's playing with it now *rolls eyes *)

She seems OK but I (and the vet lol!) are firmly on the side of totally paranoid now!

I will keep an eye on her :)

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This one I know. measure the top of your fridge. Go to the hard ware store and buy a piece of plywood 1/4 inch will do to fit over the top of the
fridge and the space behind it. Buy a roll of Velcro so that you can put
strips on the fridge and matching ones on the plywood. This should close
the space and keep her from slipping down behind it again. She will roll
off again. She's smarter than you think. Our cat ran behind the gas stove,
couldn't figure out how to back out. Gas stoves are not easy to move. As
soon as he was free, he did it again.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

glittercat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Kflowers - I feel your pain! I can't get the FF flush to the wall so there's always a gap behind it. Just enough room for her to get into it but not able to jump back out up to the counter. *sigh*. Hence moving it to one side so when she does it again she has an escape route.

Until last week she couldn't get up there as there were some things on it (old toaster, that sort of thing) but I did a trip to the recycling centre which means the top is now clear... *facepalm*

I'll get to one of the DIY shops tomorrow. For the moment I have doubled up the card (it was packing for a new steam mop thing, so it's really thick and sturdy) and have taped it on top of the FF.

She is still quite a dinky bug (she has just and just topped 3kg!) so I don't think she can dislodge it.

It'll do for a temporary measure :)