Cat Has Hard Time Peeing, Blood In Urine

smhsn1981

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all,
one of my cats (female, neutered, ~ 1.5 year old, 5.5 kg) acts strange tonight. She goes to toilet every 10 minutes trying to pee but sh can only pee some drops, I saw also some blood in his urine, she is eating only dry food, my cats also have a fountain so I think she drinks well. I am getting so worried, has anybody similar experience? Is it serious condition?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, if she totally blocks, it can be life threatening. As long as SOME urine is coming out, she is not totally blocked, which is good, but she still needs to be seen by a Vet. The blood in the urine is not as bad as the fact that she is constantly trying to urinate and only a few drops are coming out. Hopefully this is just a Urinary Tract Infection, but even if so, she will need antibiotics in order to "fix" it. There is no way for us to know if that's all it is, but frequently trying to use the litter box is definitely a sign

cheesycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It’s very serious. Urinary blockage can quickly become life threatening. I would get to the vet ASAP.
You should probably consider adding canned food into thier diets to prevent future urinary issues. A lot of people think since they have a fountain and the cat uses it a lot that their cat isn’t dehydrated, but unfortunately an only dry fed cat is chronically dehydrated. A properly hydrated cat (hydrated from canned food) will drink little to no water and usually not have any kidney/urinary issues.
Good luck

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

smhsn1981

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It’s very serious. Urinary blockage can quickly become life threatening. I would get to the vet ASAP.
You should probably consider adding canned food into thier diets to prevent future urinary issues. A lot of people think since they have a fountain and the cat uses it a lot that their cat isn’t dehydrated, but unfortunately an only dry fed cat is chronically dehydrated. A properly hydrated cat (hydrated from canned food) will drink little to no water and usually not have any kidney/urinary issues.
Good luck
It is so hard to make a cat who likes only dry food to eat wet. I tried many different brands and they do not touch it :( they even refuse the boiled chicken :(

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You need to get your baby to the vet immediately. If it's after hours, call your vet for instructions on after hours calls or get to an emergency vet.

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please get your cat to a vet ASAP. A UTI can lead to a blockage if it gets severe quickly. Even a partial blockage is an emergency. I am not trying to scare you but I almost lost one of my cats to this issue. He went downhill in less than 24 hours. He was hospitalized for 3 days and did make a full recovery. This is not an wait and see if this situation improves. Small amounts of pee with blood requires an immediate vet visit now.

laurainthesky

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have been dealing with this for a week with one of my boys. It has been very stressful. It is more rare in females but just as dangerous if they get blocked. I hope she gets treatment and starts feeling better soon. Keep us updated!

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is so hard to make a cat who likes only dry food to eat wet. I tried many different brands and they do not touch it :( they even refuse the boiled chicken :(
There are some tricks, like grinding up dry food and making small "balls" of food out of wet food and coating these wet food balls with powdered dry food.

One of our females will start the behavior you mentioned if we get lazy and feed dry. Within 48-72 hours, she's straining, peeing little clumps, blood, etc.
It could be bladder inflammation, a UTI, or crystals, etc., but all of these things left unchecked can lead to a complete blockage which can kill them in a short time, so best to ask the vet to check her out.