Cat Has Had Chronic Diarrhea For Months

IAcatlady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat Harley has had chronic diarrhea since last July. It started in July and lasted a couple days and then got better. It did this for about a month. Then in August it started and didn't get better. It was completely runny and would leak out of her butt. I took her to the vet and they put her on Flagyal. It helped a little. Her poop wasn't formed at all but it wasn't leaking out of her butt. As soon as her doses were over the diarrhea came back and was even worse than before. It was like she didn't even realize when it would start leaking out. We went back to the vet and they did another does of Flagyal and also tested for parasties, did an xray, did complete bloodwork, and tested for Hyperthryrodism. Everything came back normal. Once again the Flagyal helped it some but not completely and once the 10 days was over, it came back faster and worse. We went back to the vet and this time he gave her a Depo Medrol shot and Panacur in case there was a parasite that was not being found on the lap tests. This stopped and worked very well. The vet said most likely she had IBD changed her food to Hills W/D and once the Depo Medrol shot ran out, I was to give her prednesone. That didnt' work as well. Her poop wasn't leaking but it wasn't not formed. Also I can not give her medicine twice a day everyday. She catches on and runs under the every time I get up from a chair or walk near her. So the vet recommended the Depo Medrol shots. Shes been doing those since November about every four weeks. However now they don't seem to work either. The last one she got was Feb 10 and she already has completely runny and leaking diarrhea. She goes back to the vet tomorrow.

I would like to the vet to test more to see if it could be something else. She doesn't vomit (except when going to the vet, she always vomits in her carrier) its only diarrhea. She hasn't really lost weight, maybe like a half a pound since this started. She eats good and acts normal. I really like her vet, he seems to be very caring. I have three other cats, one with diabetes and he is very good with all of them. So I do trust him. But I feel that maybe its not IBD. Any ideas on what to do or what it could be, to ask the vet to look for.

Thank you in advance for any responses.

cat princesses

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would research using Vitamin B12 - I give b12 injections to my one cat weekly who had soft poop issues for months and now her poops are totally formed. You would need a RX from the vet for the b12 and then you can order it online. I just use insulin syringes - if you're giving insulin this will be a breeze for you! I also give her s. boullardi mixed into baby food 1x daily. I warm the baby food for 5 seconds in the microwave first and then dump a capsule of S. boullardi, mix and she licks right off the spoon.
I tried all of the stuff you mentioned above as well. Maybe it's a food allergy?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

IAcatlady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
When this started she was eating Glycobalance dry food. Its a diabetic food that my other cat eats and Harley really liked it so that is what I feed her as well. I tried Blue Buffalo Duck and Sweet Potato because I read that is good for food allergies but she wouldn't touch it. I tried Evo grain free but she didn't like that either. Now she eats Hills W/D dry. This is what the vet suggested. But it hasn't made any difference.

IAcatlady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would research using Vitamin B12 - I give b12 injections to my one cat weekly who had soft poop issues for months and now her poops are totally formed. You would need a RX from the vet for the b12 and then you can order it online. I just use insulin syringes - if you're giving insulin this will be a breeze for you! I also give her s. boullardi mixed into baby food 1x daily. I warm the baby food for 5 seconds in the microwave first and then dump a capsule of S. boullardi, mix and she licks right off the spoon.
I tried all of the stuff you mentioned above as well. Maybe it's a food allergy?

The s. boullardi is a human probiotic, right? Do you know the strength of the one you give your cat.

I will ask about the B-12, thanks for the suggestion.

cat princesses

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't know, personally, I'm not a fan of dry food at all. I also have a diabetic cat and as soon as I put her strictly on wet food only, she's gone down to a micro dose of .25 unit
what about trying the tiki cat aloha friends wet food, it comes with pumpkin mixed in already - that's another food I really like to feed them to keep the poops formed. I feed the Weruva cats in the kitchen, it's good for diabetic kitties as well. I also feed the rad cat raw as a snack.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would suggest trying C cat princesses ideas and also I would advise getting your cat to eat wet food, canned or pouch. The baby food needs to have no onion or garlic in the ingredients.

There are a number of tempting toppers if she is resistant, including tuna, purebites or her favorite treat crumbled on top, canned kitten food - then if she eats that mixing it in to adult wet food, taking some of the dry food she likes and mixing that in, baby food, a little cheddar cheese.

happy boy cat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My newly adopted kitten has the same issue. We tried many wet food but none of them helped:

Wellness Kitten
Wellness Sliced
Wellness Minced
Tiki Chicken
Tiki Tuna and Pumpkin
Weruva Chicken
Max cats

Then we tried some dried food my other cat eats but still no help.

The vet recommend putting her on Iams kitten dry good. Believe it or not. It worked. Not the best food but beats having diarrhea. Tried to give her some wellness wet food and the diarrhea started again. So she's going to be on Iams for awhile. Hope this helps.

duck13

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My Tip went through 4 different vets, lots of tests, lots of different foods, no joy. Fifth vet put her on Simply Nourish salmon & sweet potato and after 2 days the diarrhea was gone & she has had no problems since!

cat princesses

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The s. boullardi is a human probiotic, right? Do you know the strength of the one you give your cat.

I will ask about the B-12, thanks for the suggestion.
Yes, the s. boullardi is the human one, I don't think it comes in strengths, I am not home right now but if you search the forums under S. boullardi I have mentioned it before and the exact brand. My health store keeps it refrigerated but I think most are all the same. I empty 1 full capsule in the baby food. I only use the gerber turkey with gravy or chicken with gravy, those don't have onion or garlic. I tried the beechnut brand and my cat wouldn't touch it.

*** edit just dug thru old posts the brand is nutri cology

Attachments

IAcatlady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for looking it up. I appreciate all the suggestions.

cat princesses

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You helped me as well! I have been paying $26 per bottle at my local store! YIKES! I see online is significantly cheaper so I will be switching my method of purchase!