Cat Has Fleas, But Not The Kind That Bothers Humans

saren911

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone, a final problem I am having with my cat is she is having flees. They are all over her, she sleeps fine and sometimes doesn't seem be bothered by time, only moderate itching, which surprises me, but they are defiantly there, never jump on me (the fleas) but I would like to know if those shampoos actually work. I live overseas in the woods, and here they have a spray that is full of chemicals and a shampoo as well. She is a 3 month old cat. Thanks

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Some of the shampoos, sprays and collars have chemicals in them that can cause serious issues. Which country do you live in? Maybe there is someone here that knows what is available in the country that you live in.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try Dawn dishwashing soap if you can get it. It works well on Fleas. Combing with a flea comb and dipping the comb in soapy water to kill the fleas on it works well too. Make sure you dip it in clean water after to rid it of soap before applying to the cats fur. Be careful not to get soap in her eyes, but it would have to be applied to her head, fleas are there too. Remember flea eggs hatch in one to two weeks, so it would need to be redone to get them all. The best thing to do is to order a topical flea treatment that is applied high up on the back of the neck, it lasts the longest and works well. They have them at farm supply stores, pet sections, and on the internet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

saren911

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hmm i live in the South American rainforest, rural. I don't think I have many options here. But I think I did see a back of the neck type device for sale for about $3, it looked quite cheap, but I will try it.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Be careful with flea meds, especially in a developing country. Some are quite toxic to cats and you don't want to lose her due to misleading labeling. Google all products and ingredients before applying anything.

A flea comb is very basic and very safe, though time-consuming. You can also use a lice comb sold for humans if you can't find a flea comb. Comb the fleas off then drown them in soapy water or very hot water.