Cat has FIV+

Zygibajor

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey, just seeking advice on one of our cats, don’t know if I’m being dramatic or not. He is about 4 years old, indoor cat & has FIV+. He’s always been skinny so it’s nothing new but I’m not sure if he’s become skinnier? He is eating the same amount as usual, plays the same amount & has no problem regarding litter. He probably eats more than his brother but his brother is twice the size of him. Has anyone got any advise? Thanks in advance 🙂

Attachments

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Make sure he has access to food 24/7. Lots of high quality kitten food, wet and dry, will help him gain and retain weight. Keep everything as stress free as possible to ward off flare ups.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He looks like a normal cat and the other cat appears to be a Chong😺
Did the vet say he is underweight? Check this chart to be sure he is underweight.

Obesity in Cats | International Cat Care

I would get a baby scale to check his weight occasionally so if you do notice weight loss you can contact your vet. Always be sure to check his teeth and gums regularly as FIV cats can develop problems.

I don’t agree with allowing him free access to food. Cats are hunters and should be fed small frequent meals as opposed to grazing. If you can only feed twice a day, that is fine. Canned food is preferable to dry if they will eat it.

eevans3373

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He’s always been skinny so it’s nothing new but I’m not sure if he’s become skinnier?
If you are concerned about his weight. Get a scale. Keep track of his weight.

Keep an eye on his teeth. A lot of FIV+ cats end up with teeth problems. Make sure he sees his vet on a regular basis just like any other cat.

Has he had a Western Blot test to confirm he is FIV+? Is his brother FIV+? If not make sure they aren't fighting and biting each other.