Cat has digestive distress

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mommytobuck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks all, I had to take the cat to the vet. He went during the night threw up and was crying. It was shockingly easy to get him in the carrier both utter surprise and I tried the trick with putting the carrier up high and lifting him in. I put a hand over his eyes and shoved him in. It may not work in the future. He was good in the carrier for about 10 minutes. He has been sedated and the are checking him out now. Because he hasn’t been seen in a while they are doing the full work up. That is a relief.
Things didn't go great for me.

The good news

1. They did the full work up. Blood tests, X-rays, urine. No soon was left unturned.
2. They found almost nothing. They did see something on the X-ray in the small intestine but the aren't sure if it is food. The radiologist will take a look when he gets in.

The bad

1. My cat ripped out his nail again. They told me I need to get a different carrier but as I mentioned... this happens every time with whatever carrier.
2. After 2 hours after sedation my cat his home but he is in no shape to be walking around. Thank god I had the smarts to put him upstairs in the second bedroom. I let him out of the carrier but he is falling. I hate when the vet does this because he is the kind of animal that doesn't want to be confined so when he is he will rip at the door to get out.. probably going to disturb the nail.
3. They gave me an elizabethan collar for him to wear so he isn't disturbing the nail. I can't consider putting that on right now. He is just too dizzy.
4. They gave me bland food and antibiotics -- apparently for the stomach. I suppose that will be helpful for the nail as well.

Guys I have been honest here... I called out of work today and I can't do that tomorrow. Every time I go to the vet with my cat he rips a nail out. I don't think I can give him proper medical attention. It is impossible to get him to the vet and get him treated. He is 14 and I just don't think I can do it any longer.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He went in to the carrier great today, and you can try scruffing, with support under him, to get him in next time.

Do you have a piece of carpet with double-sided sticky tape on the bottom that you can put in the hard sided carrier? That should help, along with a towel or small blanket to cover the carrier which seems to calm cats.

Do they have someone, a vet tech maybe who could stop in and check on him tomorrow?

Personally, I think you could find out from them how long the sedation is supposed to last, then let him out as it's wearing off and put the collar on for the rest of the day today. The nail will likely be fine tomorrow and he hopefully won't need the collar then.

Last edited:

mommytobuck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He went in to the carrier great today, and you can try scruffing, with support under him, to get him in next time.

Do you have a piece of carpet with double-sided sticky tape on the bottom that you can put in the hard sided carrier? That should help, along with a towel or small blanket to cover the carrier which seems to calm cats.

Do they have someone, a vet tech maybe who could stop in and check on him tomorrow?

Personally, I think you could find out from them how long the sedation is supposed to last, then let him out as it's wearing off and put the collar on for the rest of the day today. The nail will likely be fine tomorrow and he hopefully won't need the collar then.
I appreciate all the assistance but

1. He won't even let me near him now. I think I probably have 1 or two possible attempts to get him into a carrier again before he won't come near me at all even at home. He is already doing that with his asthma medication. This particular carrier is probably done for. It was a lucky thing, I had the carrier in a close that he doesn't get into often so I put the carrier on a table behind the door and he was busy trying to explore the closet, I picked him up (he probably thought I was just doing to because he wasn't allowed in there) and put hands over his eyes.. and pushed him in. I think the fact that the carrier was bigger was helpful in not letting his legs stop me.
2. His carrier has a comfy pad. He actually was pretty happy with the larger carrier. I think his fear is being confined so he was more happy with a larger carrier. I was surprised he was relatively calm the entire 1/2 hour trip to the vet and back. Until he heard strange voices.
3. The vet visit cost 1K, I don't have funds for the tech, but that wouldn't help any as the tech couldn't do anything if he was sick and the cat would probably hide under the bed.
4. I am frustrated with the vet. They called back to say they didn't see a problem on the X-ray. I asked about the sedation and they said he got Kettimine. And probably wouldn't be back to normal until about 5 PM. I wish they had told me that. He is having a hard time walking and I wouldn't have let him out if I knew that. They told me if he doesn't recover the next step is an ultrasound, I don't see how I could do that.

I know this might be a controversial decision but my mind is made up.

I called the regular vet today and asked about an appointment for euthanasia. My cat 14 years old. I have given him a good life. But it is clear to me that his mental health is putting me at risk, the vets at risk, and most importantly himself. Each elder year he grows more grumpy and more insane at the vet. I do not think I can get him medical assistance if he gets sick. I am not even sure that all the sedation that he has received hasn't done brain damage. He probably has had it 8 times since first getting medical care. Every time he gets it, it is more disruptive. If I needed to get him chronic type help, I am not even sure I could do it. If he had to go back for the toe or the diarrhea I am unsure if I could do it.

I have left NO stone unturned.

I have tried the at home vet, twice they were unable to examine him or get blood.
I have tried 200 mg of Gabapentin, it didn't work, they were unable to examine him.
For the entire year I have been dealing with a series of problems. All due to nerves. First he kept hurting his eye and then he ripped out his hair on the back. I have managed each but now he has this which could force extensive work.
He has bitten me. Hard in the past, I had to get medical attention.
He has asthma.

After they came back and told me that they had damaged him again I gave serious consideration to leaving right then or driving my cat to a shelter to surrender. But turns out... with a cat like mine who is aggressive and can't be with other cats, they would have to put him down anyway as most shelters don't have the room for cats who need to be isolated.

This has to end. I have done all that I can.

I feel like I have done all that I can. If I don't put him down while he is relatively healthy it could go very badly for everyone. I talked to an at home vet and she has no ability to deal with an aggressive cat. She told me most cats she puts down are so sick they can't move. So I couldn't have him put down at home.

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry you've had so many problems. I don't know if he doesn't have a more serious underlying issue, but I can tell you that a good probiotic (NOT Floriforta) has been the holy grail for constipation and digestive issues for my cat. We use PB8 acidophilus and keep it refrigerated. Half a capsule sprinkled on every meal. Skip it,and she starts straining again.

I recently stumbled on success with calming from CBD oil. Was using it to treat arthritis, but it ended up being much better at keeping the peace between my 2 cats when one of them was on it. You would need to get it from a good source though, because that can be variable.

It's probably good he didn't eat the metamucil. Fiber can be helpful, but it can also make things worse especially if it's as much nonsoluble fiber as is in metamucil. Pumpkin doesn't have the roughage element to really push things through (more soluble), but it is usually a safer option.

mommytobuck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am actually giving him "hemp" capsules. He has gotten them before. It is the ultimate irony that I am keeping him is such relatively good shape physically while his mental status is in decline. The vet said she doesn't think it is the Mirilax but she doesn't know what it is. I think the mirilax caused the problem and now he is having a hard time resolving it.

I am actually confused about my vets directions.. saying on one hand to give the probiotic but also the anti biotic. Won't those cancel each other out?

Another mental health issue. My cat has become so afraid during a thunderstorm now that he cries and growls at himself. He is inconsolable. Last year we had a nasty night of storms that went on for about 5 hours. He paced up and down and growled and I seriously didn't know what to do. I was actually concerned he could attack me in his fear. His fear has become blinding and dangerous.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am actually confused about my vets directions.. saying on one hand to give the probiotic but also the anti biotic. Won't those cancel each other out?
It does if both are given together. Give probiotics roughly 2 hours before OR 2 hours after antibiotics.

amandag1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ultimately you know your cat best but I dont know if this is the time to put him down.
Alot of cats are aggressive and terrible at the vet.
See how he is in a few days after this sedative wears off.
Maybe mirtazepine- antidepressant could help him?
when my cat was in the hospital it really took him 1-2 months at home to normalize
At first he didnt want to do anything and hid alot to protect himself.

mommytobuck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ultimately you know your cat best but I dont know if this is the time to put him down.
I don't want to snap but I feel like I have been hearing that for 14 years and I have lived a horrible life worrying about this and him. I have spent so much money, so much emotional time. I have been treated for a cat bite, having to get a tetnus shot which always makes me ill. I put up with it because he was relatively healthy but that is not likely to be the case for the next 4 years or so. Each year he gets grumpier and more outrageous. Everyone else seems able to have their cat seen without sedation. I don't see how it would be possible to have a chronic illness where he had to go in for more than 1x per year with him.

If I wait until he is sick and very difficult to get into the cat carrier who is going to help me to deal with that cat at 3 AM in the morning when I have work the next day? No one. He has had a decent life.

When I got him he had a totally different personality. I had no way to see this coming.

My vet has agreed. The appointment is in two weeks.