Cat has diarrhoea but is not able to poop!?

Aafia Ijaz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat’s usual vet is not responding atm so I’m currently searching for answers on my own.

my cat with kidney disease had been eating a lot since a lot of days.
I noticed that she was pooping more than once since the past two days. Yesterday, she pooped in them morning and the stools were hard, then she pooped at night as well and the poop was very soft but not watery (diarrhoea). Now in the morning, it was all diarrhoea and it was probably 7 am in the morning.
Now I noticed that she was trying to poop twice but she couldn’t and i am extremely worried.
as far as her behaviour is concerned, she is going up and down the stairs like she normally does and i did try to make her eat her usual food which she did and she ate 1-2 kibbles I didn’t give her more because of the condition. I just wanted to confirm if she was willing to eat even though she is not asking for food anymore.
she does not eat boiled chicken at all i tried giving her but that is a big no. I tried giving her the broth too but she hates and it wouldn’t go for it.

lucyrima

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Don't force her to eat - call another vet... is there an Emergency one where you live?

If you can get a little water in maybe with a dropper, it would keep her hydrated.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Did she recover from the grooming/shaving/sedation that was not even two weeks ago? Just trying to rule out any connection.
Did you put her on new food that might be causing a digestive problem?

Some CKD cats are prone to constipation, so she might be one of them. Often caused by dehydration, which is also common for CKD cats as their disease progresses. Having hard stool followed by loose stool and then diarrhea suggests that she could be constipated, and fecal matter is coming out around possibly hard stools sitting in her colon.

I honestly think you have no choice but to either continue to bug your vet to get her looked at, or as mentioned above find another vet. It might not be an emergency yet, but better to take action now so that it doesn't become one. The vet can take an x-ray and see if her colon is backed up with stool, and remedy the situation accordingly.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Aafia Ijaz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Did she recover from the grooming/shaving/sedation that was not even two weeks ago? Just trying to rule out any connection.
Did you put her on new food that might be causing a digestive problem?

Some CKD cats are prone to constipation, so she might be one of them. Often caused by dehydration, which is also common for CKD cats as their disease progresses. Having hard stool followed by loose stool and then diarrhea suggests that she could be constipated, and fecal matter is coming out around possibly hard stools sitting in her colon.

I honestly think you have no choice but to either continue to bug your vet to get her looked at, or as mentioned above find another vet. It might not be an emergency yet, but better to take action now so that it doesn't become one. The vet can take an x-ray and see if her colon is backed up with stool, and remedy the situation accordingly.
The cat that was shaved was my other cat.
The vet responded and asked me for her poop pics. I sent him the pictures and he asked me to give her 1ml novidat and 1ml flagyl for 5 days. Flagyl for only 3 days. Both of them are supposed to be given twice a day.
Moreover, im not sure if poop is stuck in her colon as she hasn’t thrown up any food that i gave her. She has eaten

Aafia Ijaz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The cat that was shaved was my other cat.
The vet responded and asked me for her poop pics. I sent him the pictures and he asked me to give her 1ml novidat and 1ml flagyl for 5 days. Flagyl for only 3 days. Both of them are supposed to be given twice a day.
Moreover, i am not sure if her poop is stuck in her colon as she was eating and she hasn’t thrown up any food

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oops, sorry about confusing the cats!! A complete blockage might cause vomiting, not necessarily so with a partial blockage. Nonetheless, I hope the meds work!

Aafia Ijaz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Also, I took my cat to the nearest vet because her poop was stuck in her fur. So he shaved her under the tail. He used remu flea and tick shampoo for dogs on my cat to clean her but because it was extremely smelly. Idk if that is dangerous as i did point that out but he said its fine for the cat. I dont normally take my cats to that vet but i had no other option at that very moment

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't know about Remu, but there are other products on the market that are used on both dogs and cats. It does seem that Remu may contain Pyrethrin which can be toxic to cats, but I think in higher concentrations than that shampoo likely has. If you can check the contents, that would be helpful. I tried to look it up here, but cannot find details on the product, so hopefully you can.

"Flea sprays, powders, and shampoos contain pyrethroid concentrations less than 1% – are highly unlikely to cause intoxication in cats. Furthermore, products contain less than 0.2% permethrin are considered safe for cats."

Toxicity, if it were to occur, would result in things like vomiting, panting, drooling, tremors.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Poop for kidney kitties is always difficult. Sometimes they will have very hard poops and sometimes very soft. Often when you see loose poops (watery consistency) it's at the end of another poop. Are you feeding her hard crunchies or wet pouches/cans? If you are feeding canned or pouch, add some water to her wet food to make it the consistency of gruel. This will increase her water intake and help with her stools passing more normally.

Aafia Ijaz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I giver her royal canin renal dry food and she gets wet food occasionally as the wet food is very expensive so I can’t get an entire stock.

she does drink lots of water (she has always been like that though)
I’ve placed her water bowl on both the floors