Cat has diarrhea for 3 weeks!

danipoz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My kitten has diarrhea for 3 weeks now. First couple of days i let him be, maybe it resolved on its own but it didnt. So i went to the vet and they gave him some vitamin injection + other injection for diarrhea, they didnt tell me exactly what it was and probiotics to give him with a syringe. After those 3 days his diarrhea went away. That didnt last long because after 1 day of not having diarrhea it returned plus his appetite was very very low, he ate only tiny amounts. Today i went to a new vet, a more professional looking one with a more modern office, equipment etc... They did a giardia test, whatever that means and it came out negative. So they gave him a antibiotic injection and they told me what the injection was, a mix of amoxicillin and colistin. And they advised me to cut out his wet food and only feed him dry for now and to change his water bowl multiple times a day. Is the injection he got actually to treat diarrhea? Did anyone go trough something similar? Im supposed to go back to the vets office in 2 days but i just need some information and advice. Thanks!

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry about your kitten. It's good that you are going back to the vet soon. That is, of course, the best thing you can do right now.

My cat, who is currently 10, had chronic diarrhea early in his life after I rescued him, around age 1-2. Probiotics were the fix at the time, but I know you've been trying that.

My only advice for this stage is to make sure he is drinking water. I have monitored my cat's water intake before by putting it in a clear plastic Tupperware-type bowl, so that I could mark the water level on the outside with a Sharpie. I was doing this for different reasons, but you can monitor if he is drinking by doing something similar.

Cat diarrhea can be terrible, I know. Not only do you feel bad for them, but they can make a mess. In my cat's case, when he had diarrhea, he would fail to get all of it inside the litter box. He would start going while on his way to the box, and it would get all over.

The probiotic I used was a powder that I sprinkled on his food (I don't remember what it was, specifically). But was sold to me by my vet.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Giardia is a protozoan parasite, but since your cat does not have it, you don't have to worry about that. It is quite common, hence the reason for the test.

We aren't vets and can't diagnose or tell you what to administer, but amoxicillin and colistin are both antibiotics and, as such, can aggravate diarrhea. You might discuss this with the vet.

Malabsorption
There is some information in this post which may be of some help to you.

FurryMonsters

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi D danipoz !
I'm really sorry to hear about your kitten. If the vet gave him antibiotics, it means they suspected a bacterial infection. If that's not the case, as @fionasaid, it could make it worse.
Are you still giving your cat probiotics and is he eating all of it?
Have you changed anything in his diet 3-4 weeks ago?