Cat Has Blood On Anus?

misskirby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello, my cat Kirby has had all sorts of issues with chronic diarrhea for a bit over a year. I switched her to raw food after trying multiple medications and dry foods, and it worked! She is producing great stools. However, I've noticed there is blood on her anus after she poops. I've dissected the poop and don't see any in it whatsoever (and I really dug in there with q tips), but just on her butt and on the outside of the poop occasionally. It's been three days so far. She is now pooping once a day compared to the five or six times a day she was before I switched to raw. I'm feeding her Primal freeze dried chicken and salmon mixed with water. Could this be her body reacting to the firm poops? Any advice would be great!

kalikitty97

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, my cat Kirby has had all sorts of issues with chronic diarrhea for a bit over a year. I switched her to raw food after trying multiple medications and dry foods, and it worked! She is producing great stools. However, I've noticed there is blood on her anus after she poops. I've dissected the poop and don't see any in it whatsoever (and I really dug in there with q tips), but just on her butt and on the outside of the poop occasionally. It's been three days so far. She is now pooping once a day compared to the five or six times a day she was before I switched to raw. I'm feeding her Primal freeze dried chicken and salmon mixed with water. Could this be her body reacting to the firm poops? Any advice would be great!
misskirby misskirby It definitely could be her body reacting to harder stool. Her body is probably used to the liquid stools that were caused from the diarrhea. Any food change is going to make her body react differently, and it might take time for her stool to get to a normal consistency. I definitely think it's from hard stools..especially if she doesn't have any other weird symptoms, but if you're really worried, I'd go see the vet!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

misskirby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
misskirby misskirby It definitely could be her body reacting to harder stool. Her body is probably used to the liquid stools that were caused from the diarrhea. Any food change is going to make her body react differently, and it might take time for her stool to get to a normal consistency. I definitely think it's from hard stools..especially if she doesn't have any other weird symptoms, but if you're really worried, I'd go see the vet!
Well, I was worried the first day but after digging through the poop again today and finding nothing, I do think it's just her body reacting to the hard poops, especially since she's eating, drinking water, and playing. Is there any way to calm it down? I was reading that slippery elm bark powder can help but I've never tried it before.

kalikitty97

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well, I was worried the first day but after digging through the poop again today and finding nothing, I do think it's just her body reacting to the hard poops, especially since she's eating, drinking water, and playing. Is there any way to calm it down? I was reading that slippery elm bark powder can help but I've never tried it before.
I have no idea how to calm it down, but I think making sure she is eating enough fiber and consuming enough water would definitely help with the hard stools. If it is really bothering her I would maybe call the vet and ask what you could do..but if she isn't showing signs of problems with it I think leaving it alone would be fine.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How is your kitty doing? Any luck with the blood?

cat princesses

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My kitty had fresh red blood on the poop and the vet said it could just be from a broken blood vessel or from what you say about the firmer poops. I think it's much more concerning when there is blood IN the poop rather than on it or from the anus. Have you asked about this topic in the raw food sub group? I know others who feed raw and depending on the brand it can cause drier poops. I really like rad cat, I haven't come across poops that are too dry when feeding this brand of raw.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

misskirby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How is your kitty doing? Any luck with the blood?
My kitty had fresh red blood on the poop and the vet said it could just be from a broken blood vessel or from what you say about the firmer poops. I think it's much more concerning when there is blood IN the poop rather than on it or from the anus. Have you asked about this topic in the raw food sub group? I know others who feed raw and depending on the brand it can cause drier poops. I really like rad cat, I haven't come across poops that are too dry when feeding this brand of raw.
So the blood lasted for about a week. I was about to take her to the doctor but I decided to give slippery elm bark powder a try. It worked MIRACLES. I am so happy with the results. She is currently eating primal freeze dried raw, chicken and salmon, and occasionally rabbit when she gets tired of the chicken and salmon. I am going to be switching to natures variety freeze dried chicken I believe is what it's called, just so I can get her protein source from one animal only. She's finally gaining some weight and sleeps more soundly. I do give her a little bit of the hydrolyzed protein kibble, but only when she asks for more food after she's already eaten. It also seems to be helping. I'm so glad I didn't take her to the vet because I know they would've given her all sorts of medicines and we would've been back to square one. I'm just upset I didn't try raw food earlier and basically wasted near $1000 on tests, foods, medicines. At least she is healthy now and enjoying life. Thank you guys for all the great advice and checking in :)

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Such great news!! So great that you were willing to try different things to see what works for her. :)