Cat Has Black Rock Like Substance On His Paw. It Smells Really Bad!! Already Took Him To The Vet!!

bluethekitty133

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat has something very weird growing on his paw. It’s black and hurts him a lot, it has a foul smell and I already went to the vet. They said he needs to be put under anesthesia because he is very feisty. They didn’t get a look at my cat because he was very feisty and hissed and tried to attack. At this time I can’t afford 500$$$ for anesthesia but I hate seeing my cat suffer.

Can somebody please help!!! I don’t know what to do and i’m scared my cat might have an infection. I haven’t found anything else that looks like that anywhere else online and no one seems to know what it is!!! Pls help me and my kitty.!! It’s very hard to get a good picture because he hates when i go near his paw.

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, here's the thing; if it's something that needs to be removed (such as a tumor) or drained (like an abscess), your kitty will most likely still need to go under anesthesia. Either way.

I suppose you could always try another vet, because even if it's not something that needs a procedure, it's still something that will need treatment or medications... and most vets insist on seeing the animal before they prescribe anything.

Perhaps your vet would be willing to give a prescription for a "kitty valium" or pain med that you could give before the next visit? Then maybe kitty will at least be less stressed for the actual visit/exam. The only thing about this approach is that it may skew any blood work that might need to be done.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
It sounds very much like an infection, if it's smelly.
As furmonster mom said, it will need a vet's attention and anaesthetic would be a part of any procedure. The pain med option is also a good one.
Could you work out something with the vet regarding payment?

No Money For Vet Care? How To Find Help And Save Your Cat's Life

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What ever it is it most likely needs a round of antibiotic if it smells bad, draining is good. It may be an abscess that has burst. I can't get a good look from the photos. Call around and see if there is a vet that has a 'chamber' for stressed out cats to gas them and calm them down. That is what my vet uses for ferals and this way the cat really isn't handled until they are anesthetized. It really doesn't sound like the vet you went to can handle cats, he shouldn't have had that much trouble, call around for a second opinion. There is also an injection available to give a long lasting antibiotic. Benadryl wrapped in bacon could calm him down too, but you would have to weigh him and call for the dosage. Please keep us posted, I want to know what you find out!

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It can be expensive to take care of cats sometimes. :( Many vets in our area will take payments. Or check with some other vets, there may be one that can help, but i do recommend getting your cat some medical care.

The cat should most likely be put under, and have the wound attended to. No cat will allow that without being put under. But at the very, very least he would need antibiotics to try to help. If you cannot work with the vet you saw, i would try a different one and see what they say.

Best of luck, and do keep us updated, i will worry about him.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
$500 seems expensive. I would email or call for prices at a different vet. Antibiotics should be less than $100. My cat is a former feral and the vet handled him okay by scruffing him. I would try to find a vet that has experience with ferals.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bluethekitty133

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What ever it is it most likely needs a round of antibiotic if it smells bad, draining is good. It may be an abscess that has burst. I can't get a good look from the photos. Call around and see if there is a vet that has a 'chamber' for stressed out cats to gas them and calm them down. That is what my vet uses for ferals and this way the cat really isn't handled until they are anesthetized. It really doesn't sound like the vet you went to can handle cats, he shouldn't have had that much trouble, call around for a second opinion. There is also an injection available to give a long lasting antibiotic. Benadryl wrapped in bacon could calm him down too, but you would have to weigh him and call for the dosage. Please keep us posted, I want to know what you find out!
Thank you for responding!! That was very helpful i’m going to call around and see if they have that. If they do my cat will definitely need it because he hates everyone he doesn’t know especially the vet. The vet I went to definitely didn’t know how to handle cats since she didn’t even try to get him to calm down, but thank you!!

bluethekitty133

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well, here's the thing; if it's something that needs to be removed (such as a tumor) or drained (like an abscess), your kitty will most likely still need to go under anesthesia. Either way.

I suppose you could always try another vet, because even if it's not something that needs a procedure, it's still something that will need treatment or medications... and most vets insist on seeing the animal before they prescribe anything.

Perhaps your vet would be willing to give a prescription for a "kitty valium" or pain med that you could give before the next visit? Then maybe kitty will at least be less stressed for the actual visit/exam. The only thing about this approach is that it may skew any blood work that might need to be done.
Thank you for this advice!! I’m going to start calling various vets and see what they can do, thank you!!

bluethekitty133

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
$500 seems expensive. I would email or call for prices at a different vet. Antibiotics should be less than $100. My cat is a former feral and the vet handled him okay by scruffing him. I would try to find a vet that has experience with ferals.
Yes, $500 is a lot i was surprised when they said i would have to pay $500 for it and they said once my cat was out under anesthesia and nothing is wrong then i would’ve spent it for nothing! But i know something is wrong with my cat and i will surely have to find a vet that deals with feral cats because the one i went to definetely couldn’t. Thank you for this advice!!!

bluethekitty133

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It can be expensive to take care of cats sometimes. :( Many vets in our area will take payments. Or check with some other vets, there may be one that can help, but i do recommend getting your cat some medical care.

The cat should most likely be put under, and have the wound attended to. No cat will allow that without being put under. But at the very, very least he would need antibiotics to try to help. If you cannot work with the vet you saw, i would try a different one and see what they say.

Best of luck, and do keep us updated, i will worry about him.
Thank you so much!! I will try to see other vets especially ones that could work with cats that are feisty like mine. Thank you for responding and worrying about him, i really appreciate it!!

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good luck finding a vet that can work with you guys. I think you should be able to get him taken care of for quite a bit less. Even a spay, when they put them under is not near that much, at least not in my area. Try some other vets. and keep us updated.

bluethekitty133

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
0C314457-4EEB-40CD-8DF0-0CC6D6978FF3.jpeg
this is an update on my cat who had a black substance on his paw. I found out it was an ingrown nail, and it was removed. He is better now. Thanks to everyone who replied and helped me!