Cat Has Been Pregnant For 66 Days

Fijit

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi

I took my cat to the vets because she was getting fat and he did an ultrasound which confirmed at least 2 feint heart beats. From what I've researched, the heart beat will only show at 21 days so assuming they were 21 days then, today it has been 66 days.

The longest gestation period that I've researched for cats is 67 days, so if she doesn't give birth by tomorrow, do i need to take her to the vet?

I can see babies kicking/moving inside her but I'm getting a little worried as i was expecting them by now.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

amynurse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi there!
According to the articles I've read on this site, up to 70 days is still within range. I once fostered a stray who was carrying kittens from a Siamese male...she went the full 70 days! I was a nervous wreck! Apparently, Siamese kittens like to "cook" a little longer, lol!
Hopefully, someone more knowledgeable than me will chime in soon.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, average gestation is around 67 days, but some cats do go to 70-72 days. Especially when you do not know the exact day of mating or how many times the cat mated, it’s difficult to be precise.

She will have the kittens when her body is ready. Be patient! :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Fijit

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you.

Update: today she has had very loose bowels and runny stool. There hasn't been a change in her diet. Could this be a sign that labour is close?

Fijit

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry for all the updates/questions, but I'm wondering if i should take her to the vet

I was cleaning her back side because of the poop and noticed white vaginal discharge. Is this concerning or normal for a cat about to go into labour?

Thank you

Fijit

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all the advice guys. My cat gave birth this morning.

Sadly one of the kittens died :( but 4 are alive and suckling.

My cat is breathing very fast though, even in her sleep. Is this normal?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, it happens. Labor, delivery, and nursing are hard work. Give her a dish or two of KMR to drink daily. It supplies the extra calcium she needs and it helps with the fast breathing, which is sometimes due to low calcium levels.

Put her food, water, KMR, and litter box nearby so she does not need to go far.

Congrats on the kittens!

F Fijit

Fijit

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you again.

Everything she needs is in the same room as her and her kittens. She gave birth on my bed at 6.20am and hasn't moved off it since. Its now 22.40.

I have brought food, water and kmr up to her on the bed, which she ate and drank happily, however she has not got up herself. She's not peed or pooped since giving birth. Is this normal or should i take her to the vet?

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It’s normal. My cat did not get up for about 18 hours. Your cat will get up when she really needs to.

Do you plan to move her off the bed though and into a proper nest with her kittens? It can still be next to your bed. Do they need dry bedding? If you move the kittens (when they are not nursing) mom will usually follow.

Good she ate and drank the KMR!

F Fijit

Fijit

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yess, I've moved her into her box. She does seem to be getting very warm in there and keeps needing to come out for breaks but the kittens are feeding okay. 2 of them more than the others, which keep getting pushed out of the way, but I'm doing my best to latch them onto another nipple.

They have grown quite a lot in just 1 day

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you again.

Everything she needs is in the same room as her and her kittens. She gave birth on my bed at 6.20am and hasn't moved off it since. Its now 22.40.

I have brought food, water and kmr up to her on the bed, which she ate and drank happily, however she has not got up herself. She's not peed or pooped since giving birth. Is this normal or should i take her to the vet?
what a sweet picture

Fijit

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, i got the biggest box i could find a few weeks ago. She can stretch out fully and then have about 5 inches more space. I made a lid for it as well. This could possibly be the reason she's getting too warm?

I've opened one flap of the lid though. This seemed to help a bit,but she keeps doing this weird thing that sounds like a few sneezes/gasps in a row.

Any idea what/ why this is?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I would open the lid so she has plenty of air.

Hopefully she is just sneezing but not getting sick. Keep an eye on her and let us know if anything changes.

F Fijit

Fijit

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She has been much better today. Still a bit of bloody discharge, however i read that this can be normal with first time mothers for up to a week.

Please see the attached pic. I know its not the best but is there something wrong with this kitten's nose?

Attachments

Fijit

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm referring to the black/dark brown mark near the bottom of his nose, toward his mouth

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, discharge is normal for 7-10 days after giving birth while the uterus heals.

The dark spot just looks like pigmentation right now. I’m not seeing a problem. Is this an orange kitten?

Fijit

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh okay, it looked like blood to me at first, but then i zoomed in and it looks like some sort of mark. Yes he is orange :)