Cat has bad breath even after brushing

BigBurgers

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've had my cat for about 6 months. She was a street cat so we had some health concerns to tackle along the way, but the lingering problem is her breath. It's just plain awful. The vet does see some gingivitis, though not bad enough that we need to do an urgent deep cleaning plus extractions. I've been getting into the habit of brushing her teeth at home using a fingertip brush and an enzyme toothpaste which does seem to help in the short term, but if I don't do it everyday the bad breath comes roaring back. I've tried dental toys, food and water additives, none seem to help. She's battling a food allergy as well, so unfortunately I can't give her a dental diet like Hills Oral Care dry food. Currently she's eating Royal Canin Ultamino.

At this point I feel like I'm running out of options and the next step is to just have the vet do a deep clean, though I'm hesitant because of the cost and risk of putting her under. Is there anything else I can try?

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't think I have anything too helpful since the vet has seen her. I had a cat who just had terrible breath. We joked it could probably melt paint. We brushed his teeth and he got the cleaning/extractions when it was needed. He just was born with bad teeth and bad breath. Our other cat at the time had near perfect teeth, good breath, never had dental work. So I think sometimes their dental condition is just genetic. Even our current cat - he's only 1 - I hold my breath when he yawns. I guess, I'm just trying to commiserate. You did a great thing to rescue her and to care for her health needs. Thank you for that! Did the vet recommend anything for the breath?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Is your cat's breath something you can smell from a distance away, or is it more when she is up closer to your face? I don't think most cats' breath is ever 'fresh' smelling, and food plays a role in that. They also clean/groom themselves and there is always some degree of bacteria in a cat's mouth as a result of these things, along with normal bacteria that lives in all cats' mouths.

I am not sure I would get a deep cleaning done just to try to make her breath smell better if the vet said she doesn't really need it.
As noted above, health issues can impact breath, but if your cat has routine blood work done and everything is in order, it probably is not the cause.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think most cats' breath is ever 'fresh' smelling, and food plays a role in that.
All of my cats have always had icky-smelling breath. People often tell jokes about "dog breath" but, IMO, "cat breath" is worse!

Like you say, it's especially bad right after they've eaten. Cat food is so STINKY, sometimes!
That's the reason we sometimes call the cat "tuna breath!"

There are some health conditions that can cause chronic bad breath but, to be honest, most cats just have stinky breath.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Gingivitis definitely makes bad breath worse and you need to brush every day to avoid the smell returning. That's basically a forever issue if you have a cat with genetically poor teeth.

A cleaning would be best. I always suggest to opt with heart monitoring. It's. About more expensive, but it may already have been included in your quote. Basically, it makes it safer as they can watch for signs of distress.

She may not even need any extractions. Magnus did not but his teeth were still bad. Unfortunately, no matter what we do, he genetically just needs frequent dentals. He has a mild heart murmur as well so we worry too. But its better for his body to ha e clean teeth. Dirty teeth effect the kidney and liver.

I use teeth wipes once a day. My vet said a toothbrush with water was better for while figuring out allergies than just rubbing the toothpaste on and more effective on the teeth. I use a super-soft baby toothbrush so he tolerates it more, but only every other day. So ill suggest ask your vet which they prefer.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I would also have her mouth checked for abscesses or broken teeth. A dental abscess can smell really really bad. Even in people who brush their own teeth twice a day.

It would have a rotten fleshy smell rather than just fishy breath.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Another perspective...if her teeth aren't that bad but the breath is that stank, have the vet check her anal glands. If those don't express normally (it happens even in otherwise healthy cats), or they become impacted, this can definitely affect their breath. I've seen it a lot, and if the glands are expressed, the smell goes away almost instantly.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you mean that, when she cleans her own hind end, the smell gets transferred to her mouth?

It does make sense. It's gross but makes sense... for a cat, that is... ;)

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
iPappy iPappy I always forget about that and really shouldn't!

Caspers Human Caspers Human My friend's cat had an abscess that kept returning to her mouth after draining. They started getting her expressed once a month and the abscess has disappeared and not returned.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BigBurgers

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the input, everybody. Her breath is just unpleasant and pungent, varying in intensity. Difficult to say if it happens after she eats or after she cleans herself. Sometimes I'll notice it only when she meows near me, other times you can catch it if she's nearby and she's cleaning herself. She's currently laying next to me on my desk as I type and I don't notice it. We haven't done any blood work on her yet and she's far too young to have kidney issues. My last cat passed from CKD and her breath did start to get unpleasant, but that was definitely a different odor than this.

The vet does see some gingivitis though not urgent enough to schedule an imminent cleaning. When I first started taking her, the vet did think that she saw some cracking, though it's difficult to say until they're able to put her under and get inside her mouth.

At the moment, I think my best course of action is to just continue brushing her teeth at least every other day and then recheck her mouth at the beginning of next year. The clinic I take her to has a discount for cleanings all of February.

Tummytrouble

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat had/has sometimes (now less that she's on medications) very stinky breath and her teeth are fine. Her vet told me it was very likely due to her IBD.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
If you get an enzimatic toothpaste then you just need to kind of rub it. It might be easier if her mouth is difficult to handle as you meantion though that in of itsself is reason to have it looked at.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Do you mean that, when she cleans her own hind end, the smell gets transferred to her mouth?

It does make sense. It's gross but makes sense... for a cat, that is... ;)
Not exactly. I'm not sure why, but, the back up in the fluid for some reason affects their breath. I can't describe the smell, but, it's unpleasant and smells almost fishy.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If you get an enzimatic toothpaste then you just need to kind of rub it. It might be easier if her mouth is difficult to handle as you meantion though that in of itsself is reason to have it looked at.
Use a Q-tip instead of your fingers, if they accidentally bite the Q-tip, that doesn't hurt at all. :)
A Alldara mentioned once before about a dental wipe they have been using that seems promising, as well!

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sounds like February will be the perfect time then!

I've been using Vetradent teeth wipes. I cut each wipe into 6 so it lasts 3 cats two days. I can see the yellow on the wipe so it feels very promising.

I still use a toothbrush a couple times a week with just water, and we use q-tips a lot.

I'll note that I saw 0 effect from just rubbing enzymatic toothpaste onto the cat's teeth with no toothbrush. It prevented nothing in either of my previous cats and did not stop Magnus needing a tooth cleaning by 1 year old. I do not recommend just rubbing the toothpaste for cats with poor dental genetics. They still need the abrasion.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sounds like February will be the perfect time then!

I've been using Vetradent teeth wipes. I cut each wipe into 6 so it lasts 3 cats two days. I can see the yellow on the wipe so it feels very promising.

I still use a toothbrush a couple times a week with just water, and we use q-tips a lot.

I'll note that I saw 0 effect from just rubbing enzymatic toothpaste onto the cat's teeth with no toothbrush. It prevented nothing in either of my previous cats and did not stop Magnus needing a tooth cleaning by 1 year old. I do not recommend just rubbing the toothpaste for cats with poor dental genetics. They still need the abrasion.
I never thought about the lack of abrasion for teeth cleaning at home when it comes to poor dental genetics. That's a very good point.