Cat happier in another home?

LivGrace

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm considering rehoming my cat but I am feeling conflicted about it.

I've had my cat M for about a year and half now so I feel that is plenty of time for him to bond with my other cat and I to bond but we are just not at that point.
M doesn't seem like he likes H at all. When H tries to play or groom him, M hisses and fights with him. I have fostered two sets of kittens now and both H and M are great foster dads to them. But M seems to enjoy the kittens so much more than he enjoys my other permanent cat H. I'm not sure if it is a dominance thing or what. When I adopted M, they said that he was so loving and affectionate and that he loved other pets but that definitely doesn't seem to be the case with H. M is so patient and loving towards the kittens when they are here but he seems like he HATES H. I feel like I've given them plenty of time to adjust and that it just won't happen at this point.

What do you think would be causing his dislike of H? It makes me think that he just doesn't like H and he might be better off somewhere else where he can be with another pet that he will like. My parents' dog has stayed with me a few times and I did not see M the whole time she was here. He was absolutely terrified. H does great with dogs and all other pets. I am planning on getting a dog or two when I move out of my apartment and buy a home. I don't want him to be terrified but I live by myself so part of the reason I would like a dog is for safety.

I obviously planned on keeping him and caring for him for the rest of his life but I don't think he is happy here. On top of not getting along with my cat, I don't think he likes me either. He runs away from me all the time and when he does let me pet him, he gets grumpy so fast and will hiss at me and bite me. I understand that some cats just want to be loved on their own time but he just seems like he hates me. I'm fine with him not being a cuddly cat but I don't want a cat that I can't trust to not bite me when I pet him. He has some other behavioral issues that I have tried to work on but nothing has changed.

I've tried to be patient with him because I know he hasn't had the best situation. I just feel like my other cat and I are not a good family for him and he might be better off in another home. His foster mom before he came to me said he was really sweet and a big cuddler and everything. But he has never been like that here. He isn't an old cat so he has plenty of years left and I feel like he might enjoy them more elsewhere with someone who he works better with.

I know that he would go to a good home because I am required to return him to the organization I got him from if I decide to rehome and they go through an application process, interview process, and they call references. So I am not worried about him going to a bad home. I think I would just feel guilty rehoming him since he's already had a hard life and I would just be adding to that. But if I can make it better I would rather do that. I've been thinking of rehoming him for over a year but I wanted to give him plenty of time to adjust in case that was the issue. I don't want him to have to go through being rehomed again if it might not help.

Sorry for the long post but does anyone have a similar experience or some advice? Thanks!

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
It is totally normal for adult cats to not get along. Peaches is very loving but plays only when she wants to play. So if Maggie tries to start, Peaches growls. Even bit Maggie hard once. It's great that you like to foster but it might not be a good idea. M does not like being left out. I would like to foster but haven't for the same reason. Stress can be unhealthy for a cat

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He’s been there long enough to feel like that is a permanent home so rehoming him really might be a hard thing for him to overcome, especially since you mentioned he had already been through a lot. It sounds like he has had continuous changes around him with fosters coming and going. A dog too? Cats really need a place that gives a consistent and predicatable environment. Cats aren’t great with change. I have had lots of fosters too and not every cat understands when they love a foster and then the foster is taken away.It can add to any insecurity they feel. I no longer foster. The cats here now know that they are all here for life. They have bonded into a family and I will not be changing anything that is not absolutely necessary for our survival. I think that if you keep everything the same and give him a chance to learn that everything has reached a stable and calm point, he may begin to feel integrated more into your life. He needs you and your other kitty to feel like his own family. Not every cat will be a lap cat or fully accept all other cats but by what he demonstrated before, it sounds like he just hasn’t felt completely meshed there. As you said, he has been through a lot. He has already been to more than one home and then lost it. Maybe if he feels that , no matter what, he has found his fur ever home and is family, he will finally trust again. I have seen this before. Cats that are moved around too many times just need to know that they are really secure and that their family is also safe and secure. I hope you can work this out for him. Another move might not be the answer. Lots and lots of love in spite of his nips. Hoping for you all.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Since I rescued Coco 2 yrs ago, Maggie feels left out and Coco has taken over her spot. I could tell she was upset by it. I try to spend lots of time with her. Cats are very sociable but can also be territorial. Do your cats have a tower? Pull out a wand toy. It would help if Coco wasn't scared of Maggie. I the 2 yrs Coco has never hissed or growled. It would help if she stood up to Maggie

Last edited: