Cat hacking up clear liquid

Destp113

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a cat that is asthmatic and is on an inhaler. He sometimes has coughing fits due to his asthma. But I can tell the difference between his asthma coughs and when he has a hairball.
When he is having a coughing fit he gets low to the ground, keeps his mouth closed, and his coughs sound kind of airy.
When it’s a hair all cough he sits up, sticks out his tongue, hacks, and I can see his stomach kind of contracting.
Yesterday he was hacking as though he had a hair all but all that came out was a clear saliva like liquid. He has done this once before and I mentioned it to his vet but nothing was detected in his x-rays.
Is it possible he just thought he had a hairball or could it maybe be something else?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Feeby (16+ yo) - who does not have asthma - does this more than she ever actually throws up a hairball. I have always assumed the coughing/hacking is somehow 'dislodging' the hairball and it then continues to move on through her digestive tract. She has done this for years, and it happens maybe once every couple of months or so.

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a cat (Gracie) that does this sometimes, and she gets hairballs also, and I've also been told by my vet if she has an empty stomach for longer than usual it could be from that. She is a grazer and some days she eats definitely less than other days. I figure it could be that she just hasn't eaten much and her stomach is irritated from gastric juices without food.
It doesn't happen very often.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
As the above two members have said it's symptomatic of a hairball. We have a long-haired cat who doesn't always cough up his hairball but only clear liquid. It's a lot easier to clean up clear liquid saliva than a hairball with the remnants of food. 😉

Rg578688

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a cat that is asthmatic and is on an inhaler. He sometimes has coughing fits due to his asthma. But I can tell the difference between his asthma coughs and when he has a hairball.
When he is having a coughing fit he gets low to the ground, keeps his mouth closed, and his coughs sound kind of airy.
When it’s a hair all cough he sits up, sticks out his tongue, hacks, and I can see his stomach kind of contracting.
Yesterday he was hacking as though he had a hair all but all that came out was a clear saliva like liquid. He has done this once before and I mentioned it to his vet but nothing was detected in his x-rays.
Is it possible he just thought he had a hairball or could it maybe be something else?
Hi, my cat also has asthma and has been hacking up a clear liquid the past couple mornings. Just curious if you had any updates?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, my cat also has asthma and has been hacking up a clear liquid the past couple mornings. Just curious if you had any updates?
Hi. Unfortunately, the OP does not appear to be active on this site anymore, so I don't expect you to receive a response from them. If this is happening just in the mornings, is it possible it is due to going too long without food and so your cat is vomiting stomach acids?

Rg578688

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. Unfortunately, the OP does not appear to be active on this site anymore, so I don't expect you to receive a response from them. If this is happening just in the mornings, is it possible it is due to going too long without food and so your cat is vomiting stomach acids?
Yes, it’s possible. Seems to be eating but been more picky lately. And maybe eating a bit less than normal.

Also has a history of dental issues requiring the removal of most of his teeth except the big ones. One of the teeth looked a bit red around the gums, so maybe he’s in pain?

He threw up the clear liquid the night before an asthma attack. Which was likely prompted by use of an essential oil diffuser, which I’ve since stopped using.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yes, it’s possible. Seems to be eating but been more picky lately. And maybe eating a bit less than normal...Also has a history of dental issues requiring the removal of most of his teeth except the big ones. One of the teeth looked a bit red around the gums, so maybe he’s in pain?...He threw up the clear liquid the night before an asthma attack. Which was likely prompted by use of an essential oil diffuser, which I’ve since stopped using.
I suppose a cat might throw up due to pain, but I have not personally experienced that.

When does he eat his last food at night, and how much time passes before he eats his morning food? I would still try to get him to eat something later so there is less of a time lapse between then and his morning meal. You could try what I did with Feeby when she was coughing up clear liquid in the morning - I started giving her a scoop or two of baby food meat (Gerber Stage 2 or Beechnut) late at night, and she stopped the morning hack sessions thereafter. She too can be a picky eater, but she never refuses baby food meat!

Rg578688

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks! I’ll try the baby food meat.
I think it’s probably a reaction to the essential oils. I’m reading up now and it looks like I used tea tree and lavender which are both toxic to cats 🥺