Cat gums

catcora

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Pepper is 2 years old, male, and neutered

I’ve noticed him sometimes tilt his head and chew on the side while eating his food and didn’t think it was much until I did some researching on dental disease in cats. He has that side chewing thing, drops food sometimes (recently has been more messy), and appears very excited and hungry for dinner but will sniff the food and leave (and then will go back and forth from the bowl until all the food eventually is eaten). I’ve checked his mouth (pics below) and I’m not sure if that’s considered red near his tooth, or just a very bright pink

I also noticed a strange dark spot on his gums, his usual gums do have a bit of natural black pigment that’s always been there but this particular spot circled I think is a new spot.

Are these things to be concerned about?

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think that his behavior of eating, dropping food, and acting hungry is definitely worth having his teeth and mouth checked.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I think that his behavior of eating, dropping food, and acting hungry is definitely worth having his teeth and mouth checked.
I agree, but in the meantime perhaps you can try feeding him a softer food in case it really IS painful for him to eat. Not sure what you are feeding him, but maybe try giving him a pate with some water added so all he has to do is lick, lick, lick without chewing until you can get a Vet appointment (sometimes it takes awhile these days)