Cat growls when startled?

gimli

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello! My cat is turning one tomorrow and she seems to be growling a lot more than usual. It started happening after I went to pick her up from my grandparents after a week of vacation. They had a cat of their own, but he's not vocal (they found him abandoned when he was three weeks old -- we think his vocal chords were damaged). Ever since we brought her home, she randomly growls if someone knocks on the door and growls when startled, especially if I accidentally wake her up from a deep sleep. Just wondering what could cause this? Is it from being around strangers and another cat for a week or maybe she is sick? :(

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I think it's highly likely that she's reacting to being in a different place, as you said.

Keep an eye on her, though.  If it keeps up, then a visit to the vet would be good, just in case.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gimli

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you! Will do!

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Son of Gloin, the startle and growl reaction is very common in my clowder. That's how I know when someone strange is driving up to the house, or something they are not used to is outside, such as the coyote that visited a couple of days ago.  When she growls after waking up suddenly from a deep sleep, she may have been dreaming.  I have seen Sheba go from a deep sleep to 2 feet in the air when touched by one of the other cats.

But like Mani says, if it keeps up constantly, take her for a check-up.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Gimli, I just caught up on looking at back posts, and I see you are not a male.
I hope I didn't offend you by calling you Son of Gloin. I guess I have read Lord of the Rings too many times.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gimli

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't mind at all, it's an easy mistake and it honestly made me feel awesome! Since gimli is my favorite haha. :D

And thank you for your answer too!! She's settled down and hasn't been growling as much, thankfully. She doesn't usually growl or hiss. I think I can count on my fingers how many times she's hissed, geez.