Cat growling when touched +hurt?

kuu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, so my friends cat (outside cat) came home at 1pm and hasnt eaten since, neither has she moved. She lets out a mew (?) a meow like 'dont touch me!' at a specific spot, investigating she found this :see picture. She doesnt want to eat, and fake bites if you try touch her there. Petting on head seems fine. Never behaved like this. Worrying? Might she be stung?

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kuu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Looking urgently for replies!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't know what that spot could be. But since she is an outdoor cat it could be just about anything. The fact that she doesn't really want to be touched there, is not eating, nor does she want to move much all say to take her to the vet and have them take a look. Even if it were to be something as 'simple' as a sting, it could be that she is allergic to whatever stung her. The vet may want to give her something to offset an allergic reaction to start with.

kuu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't know what that spot could be. But since she is an outdoor cat it could be just about anything. The fact that she doesn't really want to be touched there, is not eating, nor does she want to move much all say to take her to the vet and have them take a look. Even if it were to be something as 'simple' as a sting, it could be that she is allergic to whatever stung her. The vet may want to give her something to offset an allergic reaction to start with.
Yes I think you're right

kuu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She ate a little but shes walking extremely slow apparently. Will go to the vet

kuu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Vet says she got a high temperature and an abscess

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Abcesses can resolve pretty quickly with medications as long as instructions are followed. Hopefully she is feeling better soon.

• Purraise
Reactions: kuu

kuu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Abcesses can resolve pretty quickly with medications as long as instructions are followed. Hopefully she is feeling better soon.
Yea the vet took her in, hopefully everything works out fine

kuu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So the vet told her he was going to remove it surgically but decided to wait 1-2 days instead, shes supposed to watch if it becomes a bump. Her fever has gone down and shes eating again but is there anything to help her heal better? Also she got antibiotics

kuu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Also he had kept the cat for the night and in total paid 104€ for this. I feel like thats a bit much or am I wrong? Also its an internal abcess

Last edited:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, vet prices have increased everywhere, due to everything else increasing.

Your friend might ask your vet if boosting her cats' immune system to help her heal would provide benefits. There's a product call L-lysine that could help with that.

kuu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, vet prices have increased everywhere, due to everything else increasing.

Your friend might ask your vet if boosting her cats' immune system to help her heal would provide benefits. There's a product call L-lysine that could help with that.
Shes abck to normal so I guess its not necessary for now but I do wonder wouldnt it be the best option to surgically remove the abcess? Because I feel like it can grow again and when it ruptures from the inside itd be s real problem. Someone enlighten me on the medical question

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Surgically removing it is actually opening it up and flushing all the gunk out. It usually involves a 2 week healing period in which the vet places a drain to prevent it from building up again. The cat has to wear a cone during the healing period and the owner has to clean the wound site regularly during that time. In the case of a cat that has to handle, it's usually best to see if it will heal with medication alone. I would assume, if she was at the vet overnight the vet saw it decrease in size with just the medication and decided it would heal okay with the drain.

Just keep an eye on the spot and if it starts to get larger again take her back to more care.

kuu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Surgically removing it is actually opening it up and flushing all the gunk out. It usually involves a 2 week healing period in which the vet places a drain to prevent it from building up again. The cat has to wear a cone during the healing period and the owner has to clean the wound site regularly during that time. In the case of a cat that has to handle, it's usually best to see if it will heal with medication alone. I would assume, if she was at the vet overnight the vet saw it decrease in size with just the medication and decided it would heal okay with the drain.

Just keep an eye on the spot and if it starts to get larger again take her back to more care.
Thank you!!