Cat growling at window

Saturnine2587

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know this is probably seems kinda stupid on my part but my 7 year old girl has started growling out our back window and our backyard has had various other cats as well as some bobcats visit from time to time. So immediately I know everyone is thinking duh! But I’ve also noticed an increased play aggression with our new... ish little boy since he’s started to grow. He just turned 1. I’m a little concerned that maybe there could be a more serious issue. I’ve checked her out feeling limbs and torso and no signs of sensitive areas or pain in the mouth which I immediately jumped to. Angry cat = sick cat especially since the same cat was never angry before.
my husband keeps saying she’s getting older so she’s getting more grumpy. literally right now she’s bringing me a gift aka toy cause she always yowls to let me know she coming. I’ve never had a cat growl out the window at something I couldn’t see. So I’m kinda worried. Any advice?

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My now passed indoor/outdoor cat would growl at the door if there was bad weather. Growling is just communication and can mean a lot of different things to different cats. Growling at the window to the backyard if your cat smells other cats or predators would be normal. Well, if its constant, that might be worrysome, but now and then when an "enemy" was there or had been there recently would be entirely normal. If you are worried about the other issues, you can describe them in more detail for us.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn’t be concerned about how your two cats now play together. Now that your kitten had grown to nearly adult size, it is pretty normal for your adult cat to play rougher and discipline him more harshly than she did when he was a kitten. She may be a little wound up by whatever she is seeing outdoors but a one year old is definitely able to handle that kind of play and probably really enjoys it.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There may be a little bit of redirected aggression going on here, as mentioned Your girl may get a bit anxious at the outside activity, and then release that anxiety in rougher play with her brother. So long as he isn't becoming fearful of her, there's no real cause for concern unless it should happen to escalate far beyond where it seems, from your description, to be now. Should that happen, LET US KNOW, and we'll put our head together.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Saturnine2587

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the replies! Yeah it’s very strange cause I have yet to see exactly what she’s growling at outside but I’m pretty sure a Tom has been spraying our deck and bbq the way my kitties smell it. She also gets kind of agitated when I bring her in after a short outside, leashed time. I’ve always had some inkling that she goes into pseudo heats because of her behaviour.

Saturnine2587

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
And with her and her brother, I think he can get rough a bit with her and and her sister and he does kinda stalk and then pounce so it makes sense she’s be like ugh go away. There is never any tags or cuts when they play but sometimes she just seems annoyed with him. She’ll clean him and snuggle with him but she also turns on a dime and starts hissing and growling at him and gives him a whack.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If a tomcat has been coming around then that would be enough to make your one cat super upset. There are some cat deterrents you can try to keep that cat out from your yard.

Saturnine2587

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That’s exactly what I was thinking. Unfortunately I feed birds and squirrels so I may be the culprit. Definitely attracting some predators

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Depending on where you are, you can order compressed air cans that are motion activated. No they are not loud, just the psssssst of the air. Once you determine where that tom has been spraying, and have cleaned it well with a good enzymatic cleaner, place a can where he has to go by it to get to his "spot." A good blast of air will quickly teach a tom to take his business elsewhere.

I know the cans are available from Amazon, and I'm sure some googling will turn up other sources.