Cat Grass-Yes or No??

fishynflash

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi! I was wondering today, is cat grass a good thing to buy your cats, or no? I have heard both about it. I just want to know before I spend my money...will they love it, or will it just lead to vomitting? Thanks!

raintyger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it's probably just up to each cat. I have heard that some cats do vomit. I got a box of greens a little while ago. I have a black thumb, so they're looking pretty yellow even though I've watered them. They also started smelling like poop, so I threw the container outside, where they will probably die.

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My cat loves her cat grass. She chews on it pretty much every day. I'm not sure she eats much of it, but she does seem to like it. Occasionally, maybe once or twice a year I will see some grass when she vomits, but it certainly doesn't make her vomit every time. I've heard that cat grass can serve as a prebiotic for cats, but honestly I give it to her because she likes it.

I do think it's individual, so it's hard to know how your cats will react. It's only a few dollars so it's worth a shot.

katluver4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My oldest male loves it and chews on it frequently. Only 1 time has he ever threw any up. My other 2 cats are totally uninterested. I find it cheaper to buy just the seeds and grow my own over buying new plants, but for a first time, yea, I say get a plant and see. It certainly isn't bad for them at all.

tammyp

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think it is good for them -even though I have a vomiter!  Some cats use it medicinally to MAKE themselves vomit when feeling off.  For us, it is certainly not a case of vomit every time, far from it.  And when it is vomited, it's pretty easy to clean; bile and grass, that's it.  I believe there are extra nutrients they gain from the grass.  The seedlings are better than buying and growing seeds IMO (and in the cat's).

In any case, the sheer bliss on my cats faces and determination to mow that plant make it a no-brainer for me.  

katluver4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
 The seedlings are better than buying and growing seeds IMO (and in the cat's).
Why so? Just curious. Are seedlings a different grass? The seeds I use are the same type of grass as whats already started up at the stores I think. Plus I can grow it in a heavier and bigger container. My boy tends to also like to paw in it and if I didn't have the grass in something heavy, he knocks it off the sills. lol.

Last edited:

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I grow mine from seed too, although it's tricky to keep them out of it while it's growing! They love having grass to chew on. They will throw it up every so often, but it's usually when they've eaten too much or have chewed the really thick grass on my neighbour's lawn.

jtbo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At summertime I just grab some lawn grass, it is what they did eat as feral, it is very much wanted stuff as all of them come running and try to climb up my leg to get that grass first, then they vomit and then they eat their vomit before I get chance to clean it, cats :lol3:

My lawn grass is same grass as grows everyplace, nothing special. I have attempted to get piece of it to grow indoors during winter, but I guess there is not enough light during winter as grass will die quite fast. There is few months in a year that I don't see the sun, it does not get enough high, so growing things at winter is bit of a challenge.

tammyp

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think the seeds and the seedlings are the same...but the one 'grow your own' kit I bought didn't elicit any interest in the resultant grass.  Kato was too interested in digging up the  nutrient mixture (it was a kit) and that was not something cats should get into.  When we get seedlings, the interest in chomping the grass is immediate, plus it tends to grow better (or maybe thats just our black thumbs!) Plus seedlings are pretty much in line cost wise...and no waiting!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fishynflash

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the helpful tips, I just have one more question; should I get it even though there is catnip in it? Isn't catnip considered a drug for cats?

katluver4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the helpful tips, I just have one more question; should I get it even though there is catnip in it? Isn't catnip considered a drug for cats?
Catnip is a natural herb that just happens to trigger an excited response in some cats. It is not a drug

kojima

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I know that when my one cat was near it she started to throw up. My other one started to roll in it. So it's different to each cat.

tammyp

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
And catnip and cat grass are two different things anyway (unless you are getting a mixed seed bag/mixed seedlings?)

meuzettesmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My cats have their grass in the kitchen in a pot. They look outside as the they eat it. I found good grass at a farm store.Catnip was harder for me to find. It only grows outside at first from seed form. I started the seeds in a pot. Hopefully I can have it in the house when its growing big.