Cat got rushed by a bird?

littlecatt

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have never seen this happen before, the bird must have a nest really close by! Finn was just lounging on the windowsill, his favorite spot, when this angry bird crashed into the screen wings flapping. It just hung onto the edge of the house staring my poor cat down until I shooed it away. Has anyone else ever had a bird try to threaten a cat THROUGH the window? I might be more cautious about leaving the window open in the future, Finn loves the sill but I don't want him tearing the screen if he gets harassed again.

Waiting for it to come back...

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How exciting! I don't have a bird story, but I have a squirrel one. There were a couple of pregnant squirrels in my yard earlier this summer that had it out for my cat! They seemed to think she was going to steal birdseed from them, and they would rush at her whenever she was sitting on the porch. I had to switch birdseed to something they don't like and that seems to have resolved the problem, but there were times when I was worried that these squirrels were going to hurt my cat. They were very protective of their food! They even started lunging at her from the other side of the screen door while she was inside.

Delilah's not a fan of confrontation fortunately and always backed away, although I'd have appreciated it if she'd at least hissed a little and maybe frighten them too much to keep bullying her.

The male squirrels and the birds in the yard are all appropriately terrified to approach her, though.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Some birds can be very aggressive with cats, especially if they have a nest or fledglings. A lot of magpies and crows hang around the animal shelter and chase the cats from the indoor/outdoor feral colony away from their food. It's such a problem in warm weather that we put out plates of Whiskas cat food for them. The cats won't eat it, but the birds go out of their minds over it.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
@littlecatt

From what I read what you said, I don't think the bird is threatening your cat. It sounded more like the bird landed on the window ledge which I presumed is narrow and therefore the bird was flapping its wings to gain balance. I may be wrong but I see it this way :think:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
My cats are all scared of crows. The crows fly down into their enclosure and yell at them sometimes. If the cats catch a mouse or small bird they usually eat it, but if they get a shrew or a mole they don't. When the crows spot the shrews they fly down to grab and eat them. I think they are just yelling at the cats to scare them away so they get chance to grab whatever it is they want.

The Mu got rushed by a pheasant once. They're big birds, much bigger than my poor little Mu.