cat got mosquito bite

skrumtuoscatlayd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi this morning my cats nose had a colorless bump which later developed redness. I think it is a mosquito bite but it is my first time seeing it on my cat. Is there any cure? Would it complicate to hypersensitivity or would it go away on its own in few days?
VideoCapture_20231024-205946.jpg
VideoCapture_20231024-205941.jpg

backwoodsvet

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I see mosquito's attacking my strays all the time but never seen anything like that, YET, I'm sure.....So I'm let someone that's dealt with this before help but it might help someone on a cure to know some things like,is the cat drinking and eating O.K.? is the cat acting normal ?
If I was able to help, which I can't, these are some of the things that might be asked, more info would'nt hurt...........

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With swelling like that, I would bet more on a wasp, bee, or spider bite. It should go down in a few days. If it doesn;t a vet check would be advised to check for a nasal polyp or something else in his nasal passage. I had cats with swelling like that from a wasp sting, and he started shaking meaning he was allergic. Thank goodness I had some Benadryl on hand to give him, 1 mg per lb of cat weight. I had to crush it and put it in water and give it with a syringe, his mouth foamed terribly, but he got better. It would have been better to hide pieces in a pill pocket or some kind of treat like cheese or tuna, It is awfully bitter though. It's good to keep some around for emergencies. I hope he gets better soon!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

skrumtuoscatlayd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I see mosquito's attacking my strays all the time but never seen anything like that, YET, I'm sure.....So I'm let someone that's dealt with this before help but it might help someone on a cure to know some things like,is the cat drinking and eating O.K.? is the cat acting normal ?
If I was able to help, which I can't, these are some of the things that might be asked, more info would'nt hurt...........
Yes apart from the change in appearance she is all normal, eating and drinking normal

skrumtuoscatlayd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
With swelling like that, I would bet more on a wasp, bee, or spider bite. It should go down in a few days. If it doesn;t a vet check would be advised to check for a nasal polyp or something else in his nasal passage. I had cats with swelling like that from a wasp sting, and he started shaking meaning he was allergic. Thank goodness I had some Benadryl on hand to give him, 1 mg per lb of cat weight. I had to crush it and put it in water and give it with a syringe, his mouth foamed terribly, but he got better. It would have been better to hide pieces in a pill pocket or some kind of treat like cheese or tuna, It is awfully bitter though. It's good to keep some around for emergencies. I hope he gets better soon!
I have seen wasp where I live but she is all inside cat and she's only been outside in balcony during the day
I discovered her nose like that only in the morning so the bite could have happened only during the night which I think is likely be from mosquito.
When I searched cat mosquito bite I've seen some grotesque cases of mosquito bite hypersensitivity with lesions and facial disfigurement so I'm worried if the particular mosquito that's biten her have caused this all of sudden
I'm just worried the swelling would get worse and she would love hair around the area and develop lesion

skrumtuoscatlayd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Also she doesn't display any sign of irritation or pain in the area

KittyCat_chitchat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If she's behaving normally, just keep an eye on it, and her behaviour, for a few days. You only need to worry of it doesn't go away and/or gets bigger, or if your cat starts looking or acting unwell.

It looks a lot like the time a cat I had who used to eat bees finally got stung by one. We checked to make sure he was breathing okay, but thankfully all that happened was that he walked around with a huge swollen nose looking ashamed of himself. He never ate bees again, which was a plus!

skrumtuoscatlayd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If she's behaving normally, just keep an eye on it, and her behaviour, for a few days. You only need to worry of it doesn't go away and/or gets bigger, or if your cat starts looking or acting unwell.

It looks a lot like the time a cat I had who used to eat bees finally got stung by one. We checked to make sure he was breathing okay, but thankfully all that happened was that he walked around with a huge swollen nose looking ashamed of himself. He never ate bees again, which was a plus!
it is not going away but getting blacker.
But I still don't think it is a bee sting because it is not that swollen and she doesn't show any sign of irritation or pain
20231029_071208.jpg
20231029_071200.jpg
20231029_071157.jpg

KittyCat_chitchat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm in no way the most experienced member on this forum, so I hope somebody with more knowledge than me will reply to you. However, if it's concerning you, I would take her to a vet. That way, if there is a problem, you'll have acted on it, and therefore in the best interests of your cat. And if there isn't a problem, you'll know, and you'll have peace of mind. I know that vets visits cost money, but I think it's worth it, especially if it turns out that your cat does need treatment.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What concerns me is the dark debris near her nostrils and also there looks to be some debris from the right eye. Being as she is a white cat with pink skin, you should be very careful with her being exposed to sunlight. Cats with this coloring are very susceptible to Squamous cell carcinoma. As for the swelling, I have not seen a mosquito bite in a cat cause anything like that. I also have to disagree about giving her Benadryl without speaking to your vet first,

Geul

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How is your cat doing?
If you suspect a mosquito bite on your cat, keep an eye on it for any signs of hypersensitivity. Usually, these bites will go away on their own within a few days. However, if the redness persists or worsens, consult a vet who may suggest suitable medications to alleviate any discomfort and aid in healing. In case you decide to give any meds by yourself, make sure they are safe. I often double-check the info on them on the canadian pharmacy site. Hope it helps.