Cat Got Into Buffalo Wings

Pen'sMomma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I didn't know if I should post this here or under health.

So, it's the middle of the night and my cat gets out of her bed and starts being really vocal making a sound I never heard her make before but have heard other cats make. It was as if she was talking and then she went into her litter pan and I knew she was going to be sick, I waited until she was done and when I looked at what she barfed up I realized that she had gotten into some really spicy buffalo wings a bit earlier. She's back in her bed now and I am not extremely worried as she isn't showing any other signs of distress, but is there anything I should keep my eye out for?

Is it weird that she made that new weird sound? Normally, when she is going to be sick she comes to me and meows and then goes to her litter box to throw up , she has never made this sound before.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Pen'sMomma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How is she doing now? My concern would be that the buffalo wings could have garlic powder on them, which is poisonous to cats. Can you call your vet?

Garlic
Thanks for the response. She seems fine now. She ate her breakfast, drank water, and did her morning routine including brushing her teeth and playing with her electronic butterfly all normally. I think she's okay. She did try to get into the trash to get at the bones again which I thought was weird because I would have imagined that experience early would have been horrible for her.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Probably the biggest danger is the chicken bones themselves. They break into pieces get swallowed or stuck in their mouths. It is possible that is why she was coughing and either finally spit it out or swallowed it. If she swallowed a piece it will likely pass but keep an eye on her behavior for the next few days and if her eating or pooping behavior changes get her to the vet ASAP.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Pen'sMomma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Probably the biggest danger is the chicken bones themselves. They break into pieces get swallowed or stuck in their mouths. It is possible that is why she was coughing and either finally spit it out or swallowed it. If she swallowed a piece it will likely pass but keep an eye on her behavior for the next few days and if her eating or pooping behavior changes get her to the vet ASAP.
I have been watching her a bit more closely. She's doing well. Thanks.

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I know they say that garlic and chocolate is bad for cats but back in the day I used to let my cat lick my spaghetti and chili bowls and lick the ice cream bowls and she lived to be 18. We were never told otherwise. While I wouldn't place an entire garlic clove in her dish or a candy bar, nothing ever happened. Your cat may have been reacting to the spice in the wing sauce. Either way, it sounds like she's doing OK and that's all that matters in the end. I know...it's scary when you find out they ate something they shouldn't have.