Cat gone crazy with food

peekasoph

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Notes: The cat, Sophie, is around  6 years old. She has a sister cat that is 4, Peeks. Not actual sister, but you know what I mean. They've been together the entire span on Peeks life, so nothing new there. They are on a grain free diet. They eat LID dry food, and they always have it available. They get wet food at night when I get home, same time every day.

All of the sudden, Sophie had started being extremely whiny and beggy about food. She inhales her food so fast, that she isn't chewing, choking on it, and consequently, throwing it up. To remedy that,  I sat with her and took her food away and gave it back to slow her down. She has learned to chill out a little bit if she knows I'm watching.

Then she has taken to stealing Peeks portion. So, when putting both bowls down, she hovers each bowl while eating out of them so Peeks can't get to it. I started putting Peeks bowl up on the counter and offering it to her later (most of the time she wont eat it unless it's doused in gravy anyway). Sophie figured out I had the bowl on the counter, she would wait til I turned my back, get on the counter, eat it, and run away. 

She also sits in the kitchen and begs. She will give up after a while when she realized I'm not handling food. (I spend a lot of time hanging out the kitchen non food related) But the minute I reach for the fridge or get a can out, she goes crazy again. 

She used to be timid about eating treats, but now she dives on them when I give them. 

She also has gotten extremely bold at human dinner time, and will without warning (she's smart so she's sneaky)  stick her paw in my food so she can lick it. 

She isn't abusing dry food (just wet food and human food), she isn't drinking more,  and as far as I can tell, urinating hasn't increased. Did my cat just turn into a grubby little fatty or is there something medical that I'm missing?

Freedom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Is she maintaining her weight, or losing weight?  Sounds like she is eating MORE than in the past.  If her weight is the same or dropping, I would suspect hyperthyroid disease; vet visit and blood work will diagnose that.

Can you put Peek in a room and close the door for her to eat .. . . I have even used the bathroom for this purpose, 20 minutes is fine (I set the timer so I don't forget to open the door!)  You could also have Sophie be the one behind a door, but she sounds like she would just hammer at the door.

As for slowing her down, without you hovering . . . you can get some large stones, wash them clean (some folks will set them on the stove top in a pot and boil them clean, some use white vinegar, etc), and put those in the bowl, THEN put in her food.  This means she has to work to get the kibble, so she can't gobble it down.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

peekasoph

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just want to come back to this thread and note that I realized she was taking advantage of the new kitchen layout in our new house. It was easier for her terrorize me and so she did. Lol. She still keeps it up but I have a system for feeding them now. Sophie first on one end of the kitchen and peeks patiently waits on the other end for her to bring me hers. Fatties will be fatties I guess lol.