Cat Going #2 Everywhere Except Litter Box

Twofakind

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! I have a 6 year old tortie who recently had a bout of constipation. She developed litter box aversion which let me know she had an issue. We went to the vet 5 times over 3 months for X-rays, fluids, enemas and a sedated enema. The last time I got her to use the box was after an enema when she had very liquid stools.

She has a clean bill of heath and is on a new fiber diet that has helped soften her stool tremendously. Her sedated enema cleared her all out and hit the reset button, however she is still preferring the wood floor/rug by her litter boxes. We have a water fountain, we have tried putting boxes over her favorite spots, getting rid of the rug she preferred (she found a new one to use) and feliway diffusers to no avail. Has anyone had a previously ill kitty develop this habit and successfully break it? I will start Night 1 of confinement tonight with food water a box and her bed but I know her sisters will keep me up in protest.

Does anyone have anything that worked for them? I need this cat back in her box before I lose my mind!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried two boxes side by side? Many times cats develop a preference for one box to poop in and one to pee in. I would pick up all rugs for now until she returns to normal and get a high sided tote and cut an opening in the front. Maybe if it doesn't look so much like a litter box she'll use it. Miralax works great for constipation, ask your vet first, but 1/4 -1/2 teaspoon mixed in a tiny bit of food or tuna juice works great.Good luck, comeback and tell us if you find something that works!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Twofakind

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Unfortunately her last two boxes were side by side and she would go on the hardwood right in front of them :( when I moved them over where she had the accident, she decided to move across the room onto a rug. We have had great luck with the royal canin fiber response diet getting her stool back to a normal consistency, but I might try the tuna juice and miralax trick!

Last night I kept her in my half bath with her bed, food water and litter box and she did great! Seemed to be happy to have her own space. I fed her at 515 (when their automatic feeder goes off) and sure enough by 6am she had used the litter box for both businesses! I gave her lots of love and praise and she got to roam freely for the day since I know her schedule. On night #2 so fingers crossed we develop a good routine using this method!