Cat goes overboard when burying poo

tiggycat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
9 week old kitten, uses litter box as normal but throws litter out onto floor while hiding his buisness, he does it fine outside but I dont intent on getting a hooded one

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I have a cat that's a 'kicker', too.  I put puppy pads on the floor around the box to catch the litter that she kicks out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tiggycat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah, i've got news paper around the box, but sometimes he flings it across the room and the other day i found his poo around a meter from the box.

kori marie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat does the same thing, but for him its more than just kicking the litter excessively. He seems to play in the litter box, meowing, flailing with front and back feet. I do now have covered litter pans which helps a little but the stinker still manages to fling litter all over the floor. My solution was to place the litter boxes under my sink which is open but if you have a small area that can be used as a cubby where you place the litter pan it may help reduce how far kitty can fling litter. In addition to that I also took a cardboard box that can easily be moved for cleaning and made the litter box area under the sink like a small room. The litter stays in the confined area and the cats gain access through a large hole cut in the middle of the flattened box. This has worked like a charm for me. Unfortunately I can't say I know a way to stop kitty from being "excited" in the litter but this at least helps keep the mess in a confined area. Hope this helps, even if just to give you an alternate idea. 

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Use a large Rubbermaid (or other brand) storage tote.  Cut a round hole in the lid about 12" diameter. 
The new entry won't slow them down one bit, and everything stays inside except for what gets tracked out.  And most of that stays on the lid because that's the 1st place paws hit when exiting (instead of the surrounding floor).

Our problem was a bit different (worse).  Ours decided he no longer wanted to stay squatted to pee.  He starts out that way and by the time he's finished, he's standing.  WHAT A MESS!!

But, we found that after we starting using a tote with a hole in the lid, his water dish has no more litter in it.  (he pats the surface before he drinks). I guess less litter sticks to his paws now.