Cat Gobbles Down Food, Begs For More....

HesSoFluffy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi-

It's been awhile since I posted here, so I will thank everyone in advance for any assistance.

My 3 yr. old, Romeo, is doing quite well after adopting him a couple yrs. ago.

I fed him Wellness (Wet) for awhile, but switched when I noticed the texture changed, & kitty started turning his nose up at flavors he loved. I also heard of reports of plastic in the food.

So I researched extensively, tried Halo but didn't like the rosemary in there, & finally settled on Nature's Variety Instinct Pride Minced (Wet), which had great reviews, & is a natural, grain-free formula, no preservatives etc.

Romeo's coat is fluffy, he's a healthy weight (9-10lbs.), active etc., & he can't wait for mealtime; gobbling down his food. He often begs for more after a meal, & in-between feeding times. I give him the recommended 2 cans a day.

I thought he just loves his food, but wondered if his nutritional needs are being met making him "hungry".

The label says it has 8.0% of Crude Protein, 4.0% fat, & .05% Taurine guaranteed analysis.

The company responded to a reviewer on Amazon, stating "Our Pride Cans contain 80% meat and liver and 20% vegetables, fruits, and other wholesome ingredients. The carbohydrate level in all varieties of our Pride Cans is less than 3%. Cats are natural and instinctual carnivores, so in the wild when they catch a mouse, rabbit, bird, etc., within that prey there will be fruits and vegetables found in trace amounts. These are in turn also included in trace amounts in our diets."

I don't mind fruits & veggies for the reason they stated, so long as protein is dominant. I'm more perplexed by the inclusion of Montmorillionite Clay.

Anyway, doing more research, I found a couple recalls I didn't know about with Nature's Variety, but there seems to be few companies that haven't had those these days.

I'm sure you all know what's it like to find a food that is healthy for your cats that they actually LIKE to eat, so I'm hoping Romey's exuberance for his food is just that.

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The boys always ask for more food, no matter what it is. They are foodies, and if they were in control of their own waistlines, they would be fat, just like they used to be. Stewart was over 16 and Tommy was over 20.
The girls can manage their own waistlines, so they free feed from their microchip feeder with a 5.5 oz can of Nature's Variety Instinct per day and up to 1/4 cup of low carb kibble. My ladies are 9 1/2 and 10 1/4 lbs.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nature's variety is a good brand when it comes to cat food. The original formulas are a bit better than the pride because they are more meat and less veggies.

How much does he weigh and how much are you feeding him per day? What is his level of physical activity like?

Edit: Sorry, I completely skimmed over the part of your post where you answered my questions. I tend to do that.

It sounds like you are feeding him plenty, given that the average pride can is probably around 150 kcal. I think it's normal for cats to beg for food, especially cats on all wet because they're not used to having a food supply available all the time.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think Romey's nutritional needs are being met by the quality foods you are buying. All three of my cats would eat more food than I give them if I offered them more. (Especially the one I just got down from 16.5 pounds to 12.5 pounds over 14 months of dieting!) I weigh the cats every Sunday, and adjust calories every few weeks if I feel like it's necessary. You can always go get blood and urinalysis tests run for "wellness" checks, but that's not absolutely needed if he seems healthy and happy.

The Montmorillionite Clay seems to be a current fad that companies are putting in foods these days. It's supposed to absorb any toxic heavy metals in the body. I looked into a bit, and then thought about my property being on clay soil. I looked up the geographic soil details, and sure enough 1/2 of the soil in my yard is Montmorillionite Clay. If I want "trendy cats", I'll just add a half-teaspoon of yard dirt to their food now and then. (Just kidding. :paperbag:) Anyway, the clay in cat foods is probably entirely uncalled for, but also will not likely hurt your cat in small quantities.

80% meat and liver is good. The 20% veggies are also not needed (also not exactly a "trace" amount), but probably brings down their production costs and some people who don't do any independent research probably think veggies are healthy for cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

HesSoFluffy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the replies lalagimp & Neo_23 :)

They are foodies....I've had two cats before this one, & my dearly departed Calico always begged. I'm more of a helicopter parent with Romeo since I've raised him by myself.

Romeo is 9-10 lbs. I feed him 3x a day, a little less than a 1/2 cup (since it's minced & has a lot of gravy vs pate), & that equals 2 cans a day...which is recommended pr. 7lbs of cat. So technically I guess I should give him even more.

He's pretty active. He wants Mom to play with him all the time, & whines if I don't throw his ball :lol:

I have been busy lately. Maybe he's bored?

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have NV's Instinct Pride flaked rabbit, flaked duck, and sometimes the Sherlock Salmon in my cat's rotation of food. (Like you say, it's hard getting them to eat the foods you would prefer them to be eating. I can't get her to eat the NV LID diets, but she'll eat the above Pride versions.)

My cat is about 9 lbs too, but I feed a little differently than you do(?). I usually never give her more than two ounces of any Pride food (Flaked Rabbit, or the Duck) per day, as I feel the whole cans have more fiber than I'd want to feed her daily. Fibers are just a filler, in my view. Helpful at times, but a ton of fiber isn't really needed for cats normally.

For her other daily meals, I give her another brand of food, a Limited Ingredient Diet one. Doing that seems to focus more on the protein than on the fillers, and she feels satisfied that way -- with a combination of daily foods.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wonder if the relatively high fiber and carbohydrates in Pride mean Romeo isn't feeling sated for long after he eats. According to Dr. Pierson's food charts, the Pride foods are all 10% or higher in terms of calories provided by carbs. I try to keep our cats' carbs as low as possible and avoid ingredients like peas and potatoes, particularly since they are often high in the ingredient lists. I tend to agree that they are used as fillers. (The produce at the end of the Pride list may be used for nutrients, though; the amounts there must be small.) All that said, PushPurrCatPaws PushPurrCatPaws has a good strategy in varying the menu by including other brands. I wish the carbs weren't so high in Pride because our cats loved it when I got them a can of something or other a few years ago.

I feed other foods that have clay and can't say it thrills me, either!

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, the fiber/fillers was my angle too, lisahe lisahe , but you bring up a good point about carbs!
:agree:

My cat is a lot less hungry when the Pride isn't the dominant food (and yet, it's one of the only few she'll eat, sigh!)

Last edited:

HesSoFluffy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi orange&white, PushPurrCatPaws, & lisahe-

I appreciate your thoughts, & how quickly everyone responded.

I feel reassured that Romeo's needs are being met, even though ideally there would be less carbs, & I'd prefer they took out the clay.

After dinner tonight he passed right out because I played with him. I think there's a connection because I hadn't been doing that lately, & cats catch their food in a playful way (not good for the mouse though obviously). I can tell when he's satisfied because he goes to sleep with a "smile". :-)

lisamarie12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The company responded to a reviewer on Amazon ... "The carbohydrate level in all varieties of our Pride Cans is less than 3%.
Totally inaccurate bs from Nature's Variety regarding the carb content of Pride.
Please refer to Dr. Pierson's (catinfo.org) comprehensive list of canned foods as far as carbs, protein, fat, etc, which is based on TNA, typical nutrient analysis vs GA percentages, the latter which is far less reliable than TNA.
If you want to stick with NV, a few of their Instinct line proteins are lower carb, eg venison.or lamb.
Is Romeo very active? Company feeding guidelines are only that, younger, active cats may require more food than what is suggested.
I personally don't have an issue with montmorillonite clay, I fed Instinct for several years and now feed raw with mc, no issues.
You may want to consider including a fattier meat protein, eg duck or you could add a few freeze dried, rehydrated breast meat treats (Bravo, Fresh Is Best, Whole Life, Pure Bites) to the food so kitty will feel more sated.

HesSoFluffy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi lisamarie12-

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I had a chance to look at Dr. Pierson's chart that lisahe posted last night, & I noticed the carb content didn't match NV's claims. Sad you can't trust companies to be honest with consumers.

In looking over all the brands, however, few have the 80% recommended protein content, as well as meet other criteria such as manufacturing/processing in the U.S., & texture & flavors I know my kitty will eat. Unfortunately I can't afford to feed raw, so while NV has a 17% carb content, it's just a little over the scceptable 15% recommended by Dr. Pierson, so I think I will stick to NV atm.

Romeo is pretty playful. I increased his serving to just under 1/2 cup pr. meal (minced), & that seems to have hit the spot. :cloud9:

Thanks again everyone for your help & comments.

Happy Holidays!

HesSoFluffy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry I can't edit. *acceptable

lisamarie12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi lisamarie12-

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I had a chance to look at Dr. Pierson's chart that lisahe posted last night, & I noticed the carb content didn't match NV's claims. Sad you can't trust companies to be honest with consumers.

In looking over all the brands, however, few have the 80% recommended protein content, as well as meet other criteria such as manufacturing/processing in the U.S., & texture & flavors I know my kitty will eat. Unfortunately I can't afford to feed raw, so while NV has a 17% carb content, it's just a little over the scceptable 15% recommended by Dr. Pierson, so I think I will stick to NV atm.

Romeo is pretty playful. I increased his serving to just under 1/2 cup pr. meal (minced), & that seems to have hit the spot. :cloud9:

Thanks again everyone for your help & comments.

Happy Holidays!
Oops, sorry, I just barely skimmed through the replies, yay, LisaHe. :) I'm glad the extra amount seems to be helping him feel fuller, good luck with that food.

HesSoFluffy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No worries..I wasn't familiar with Dr. Pierson, but found that chart very helpful, so I just wanted to acknowledge lisahe for providing the link.

Thanks. Now if I can only get him to slow down eating it! Putting his food in muffin tins (one of the tips I've read) isn't very practical. :tongue:

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No worries..I wasn't familiar with Dr. Pierson, but found that chart very helpful, so I just wanted to acknowledge lisahe for providing the link.

Thanks. Now if I can only get him to slow down eating it! Putting his food in muffin tins (one of the tips I've read) isn't very practical. :tongue:
You're welcome! I love that chart, its precursor helped me four years ago when we had a sick kidney cat and the new version helps me with our current cats, who I want to feed minimum carbs.

We have to slow a cat's eating, too! If Romeo was a stray or underfed cat when you adopted him, it's possible he still has a bit of food anxiety: our cats were very underfed when we brought them home and even four years later, one still seems unsure about whether she'll get another meal. We feed five small meals a day and spread hers out on a plate; that seems to help keep her from scarfing and barfing. :p Some people use baking sheets. I've never tried the muffin tins but, beyond the impracticality (and probably the cleaning!), probably wouldn't suggest it because cats can get whisker stress from eating out of small dishes.

HesSoFluffy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think I solved the mystery....

I just posted over on the NV Instinct thread I think they changed the formula, & added "natural flavor" to make the food more addictive.

About the time he started scarfing down his food, probably coincides with the change. I hadn't checked the label in a couple months, & apart from the natural flavor, I noticed the label was much longer as well.

So disappointing. We pet parents spend time researching to find a brand we trust, only to have them change things in a way that isn't good for our fur babies.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think I solved the mystery....

I just posted over on the NV Instinct thread I think they changed the formula, & added "natural flavor" to make the food more addictive.

About the time he started scarfing down his food, probably coincides with the change. I hadn't checked the label in a couple months, & apart from the natural flavor, I noticed the label was much longer as well.

So disappointing. We pet parents spend time researching to find a brand we trust, only to have them change things in a way that isn't good for our fur babies.
Oh, no! Well, I guess that's another cat food mystery solved. I also noticed that it looks like they added more pea ingredients to at least some of their Instinct pates. At the price they charge, they shouldn't be adding protein that way!

HesSoFluffy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh, no! Well, I guess that's another cat food mystery solved. I also noticed that it looks like they added more pea ingredients to at least some of their Instinct pates. At the price they charge, they shouldn't be adding protein that way!
I'm leery about trying to turn our cats & dogs into vegans.

I think it's good that they have some carbs in food, because isn't that why the lion is king of the beasts? The antelope does all the work eating the vegetation :lol: So I don't mind some fruits & vegetables in a formula, but yeah-cats aren't designed to subsist on pea protein.