Cat Giving Birth Please Read

VeuveNoire

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
IMG_2614.JPG
IMG_2613.JPG
and a little bit concerned. She has been pushing for abt 30 minutes if not more, with rests in between. What is sticking out of her? Looks like two sacs? Sorry for short post but I want to make it quickly.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If this active pushing work continues much longer, you must contact your vet, be prepared to rush in.
Perhaps best you phone and ask already now about these sacks.

I dont know for sure what it is. Not the most common.
Our forumites reports such sometimes, usually the delivery proceeds normally with healthy kittes. V VeuveNoire

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

VeuveNoire

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If this active pushing work continues much longer, you must contact your vet, be prepared to rush in.
Perhaps best you phone and ask already now about these sacks.

I dont know for sure what it is. Not the most common.
Our forumites reports such sometimes, usually the delivery proceeds normally with healthy kittes. V VeuveNoire
I'll probably be able to take her to a vet some time soon I hope.
I'm not sure if something is wrong or not. She was pushing occasionally and then resting a lot, but a few minutes ago she started pushing repeatedly and still no sign of a kitten. Now she is resting again.
At one point during resting, she looked at me and meowed twice.

If worse comes to worse and I need to get her an emergency C section I can only pray it's affordable.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You need to get her to a vet immediately!

It’s been too long. The kittens can die inside the birth canal.

Ask for a payment plan.

Please keep us posted!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
As she rests inbetween keeps her alive, but such long pushing deliveries are too long. She has apparently problems, so what was possibly an emergency earlier at my first post, is clearly emergency now.
Be happy she is still alive, and fight for her life dearest you can. Its RED ALERT. She needs badly vet help. Lend money from anyone, or make a payment plan with any lender - or the vet.

Good luck!

I'll probably be able to take her to a vet some time soon I hope.
I'm not sure if something is wrong or not. She was pushing occasionally and then resting a lot, but a few minutes ago she started pushing repeatedly and still no sign of a kitten. Now she is resting again.
At one point during resting, she looked at me and meowed twice.

If worse comes to worse and I need to get her an emergency C section I can only pray it's affordable.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
give her to drink some water with honey in. It gives energy, which she is drained off.

If she cant drink, you can smear this water and honey on her lips and gum.

VeuveNoire

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
IMG_0149.JPG
IMG_0141.JPG
IMG_0139.JPG
Update: So I had taken her to the vet, who gave her a shot of oxytocin and kept her there to see if she'd deliver them.
While there, she managed to give birth to a kitten but it was stillborn (as I'd expected it'd be) and then she had a live orange one. They told me to pick her up (her x rays showed 4 left in her, so 6 total) and that if she didn't have the rest by this morning then she'd need a c section. However, she had another this morning (stillborn) after having a stillborn and another live one yesterday at home (the other one had a lot of fluid in its lungs and at first I thought it was stillborn, but I rubbed it to stimulate breathing and it eventually cleared up)
So, to reiterate, she has 2 live ones, gave birth to three stillborn, and should have one left in her. I didn't take her back to the vet this morning since she seems to be giving birth unassisted now/none are stuck.
She isn't showing any signs of labor since the last one at 10 am.
I was going to call them back to ask about the x rays and make sure they said 4 was left in her and not 3 (because admittedly when I was there, I was extremely zombie minded as I hadn't slept or eaten at all) but the office was already closed by the time I called.

I'm not really that concerned seeing she isn't pushing or anything, but I can't help but wonder if they said 3 or 4 were left when I picked her up. I'm pretty sure they said she had 4 left though.

If if was 3 and I just misheard, however, she is finished.
Sorry if my post is any bit confusing, I'm still extremely tired as I only slept an hour last night keeping my eye on her.

VeuveNoire

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm going to the store right now to pick up some KMR just in case it is needed. I haven't seen the torbie kitten suckling from mama yet so I want to administer it myself if it ends up being needed.
If she does have another inside of her but isn't pushing yet, it is not a cause for concern, right? Should I only be worried if she is pushing but no kitten appears after an hour or so? She seems to be taking her time delivering these (like how she went all night without delivering another until this morning, and it seemed to come out rather quickly once she started pushing)

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How are things going? I would call the vet and leave a message since they are famiar with the situation. Please keep the updates going! And if the tortie hasnt latched on at all, I would give colostrum before the regular formula. Kittens often tolerate goat milk better than whey - fresh raw goat milk is great but you can make a jimdandy formula with canned goat milk diluted 50/50 with bottled, filtered or good well water - there is a recipe at www.kitten-rescue .com
I hold the raw egg yolk loosely in my hand and gently trickle water over it to rinse off all the raw egg white. There is also a premade formula called goat-a-lac-feline. And they sell colostrum at feedstores if you do not know any 4-Hers or FFA students.
Please keep us updated!

VeuveNoire

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
IMG_2664.JPG
Is the kitten nursing now? If not, it needs formula. I hope you get some rest!
Yeah, the kitten started nursing. Just now however my cat started meowing, growling, and rolling around as if she's in pain for a few minutes - and I know the vet had said she had 4 left in her. I just know it. And then she started having some fluid from her vagina and was licking it away.
She (I think) just started having a contraction of some sort. I'm staring her down. I am so nervous I feel sick. I can tell something is off with her right now, but maybe she's just finally about to deliver the fourth kitten? I can tell she's uncomfortable by the way she is slumped over (I'll attach a photo, she just laid down after I took the photo though)
The last kitten was born at 10 am yesterday if I remember correctly. She had such long pauses between kittens

VeuveNoire

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
after her meowing, growling and rolling around fit ended she laid back down and is letting the kittens nurse again
It does sound like she may be in labor again. Poor mama. Stay with her if you can.
I can't wait until this is over so I can get her fixed. This will never happen again.
What's worse is that I have a small Siamese mix cat that my sister let outside a month back and she said she "saw her near some other male cat". And now her nipples are pink and bigger. "Rosy"? I can tell she is pregnant.. and a few weeks after being let outside, she was vomiting and I had no idea why. But now I'm assuming it was the cat version of pregnancy morning sickness.
I hate the idea of getting her fixed & terminating the pregnancy (especially if there's the chance the kittens could be born naturally), but I think she is too small to safely have kittens naturally and I don't want to put her in danger. I don't want to make the same mistake twice. I decided against having my cat fixed and it's put her through hell, and I feel horrible for it.
On one hand I'll feel like an irresponsible kitten murderer, but on the other I'll feel like I'm sparing her from possible pain and suffering.

Anyway, my cat is lying here now just letting her babies feed. She hasn't had any other signs of labor since the meowing/growling fit.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If the other cat is halfway through her pregnancy, and it sounds like she is, you may want to let her have the kittens. Not all cats have difficulty, in fact, most don’t. Is she showing?

I’m sorry you are going through this. Just know it won’t last forever.

VeuveNoire

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
IMG_2682.JPG
IMG_2679.JPG
If the other cat is halfway through her pregnancy, and it sounds like she is, you may want to let her have the kittens. Not all cats have difficulty, in fact, most don’t. Is she showing?

I’m sorry you are going through this. Just know it won’t last forever.
I think her belly feels more firm and rounded than it used to be and her nipples are pretty visible sometimes when she's lying down. They used to look like little grains of sand they were so tiny, but now they're like small pieces of rice in size.
She doesn't look huge yet. I just checked the messages sent from my sister (when she was telling me she thinks she got mated outside). The date of the apparent mating was March 14. She had even sent me a video of her rolling around in the grass after the encounter with the male.

I had to pinch/scruff her a little to make her be still so I could get a photo of her size, since she kept walking around.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Re: the Siamese - you can ask the vet about spay/termination. My vet told me that when the mama cat is put under general anesthesia, the babies simply slip away peacefully. And if all goes well with your other mama cat, you can let your vet & cat rescues know that you have a lactating queen in case there are orphans in need.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Your cat is showing. She will be six weeks along this coming Wednesday. Kitten movement is felt and seen the last 2-3 weeks of pregnancy, and that is when the kittens begin getting their fur and becoming viable. Your cat will be 42 days along, and cat pregnancy averages 65 days. That’s 3 weeks from full-term.

If you plan to spay/terminate, please get her in this coming week. If that is not possible, then let her have them.

It’s much harder on the moms the closer to full-term they get, as their bodies are hormonally primed for lactating and maternally caring for kittens.

Past a certain point, kittens do not fade away under anesthesia. The closer to full-term they get, they are born alive and must be euthanized.

In the meantime, if your other cat is still carrying babies, she should have them soon. Cats can conceive more than once during a mating cycle by different toms, and have kittens days apart.

V VeuveNoire

Last edited: