Cat Gingivitis

Panthersowner

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey all. I feel like I'm failing my cat. All I had to do was brush his teeth and he hated it so much I took a vet nurse's advice and used dental water. She told me it worked like mouthwash but the vet said that's not true and he still needs his teeth brushed. He was eating on one side for two weeks before I booked an appointment for him at which point he was chewing on a metal chair arm! I wanted to take him in earlier but I couldn't get him there. I thought he had a tooth still coming through at over a year old but he has mild gingivitis! Today he laid on the floor in front of me purring as I stroked him and last night he was in my mums bed purring away trying to bite her fingers as normal. And I'm wondering how I didn't figure out there was a problem sooner. Any one else?

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
First, I'd like to welcome you to TCS! :wave3: I'm glad you came here for support. Second, please don't feel like you're failing your cat. Here are two helpful Articles, one about how to brush your cat's teeth and the other about gingivitis in cats:
How To Brush Your Cat's Teeth
Gingivitis And Stomatitis In Cats

Many of us have cats with dental problems, myself included, so feel free to ask questions. Please keep us updated on your cat's progress. :alright: Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Panthersowner

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
First, I'd like to welcome you to TCS! :wave3: I'm glad you came here for support. Second, please don't feel like you're failing your cat. Here are two helpful Articles, one about how to brush your cat's teeth and the other about gingivitis in cats:
How To Brush Your Cat's Teeth
Gingivitis And Stomatitis In Cats

Many of us have cats with dental problems, myself included, so feel free to ask questions. Please keep us updated on your cat's progress. :alright: Good luck!
He's currently asleep and missing for about 2 hours so I think he's under the sofa. He's a very happy indoor cat and is normally very happy and healthy. He's eating better and still acting normal apart from trying to eat a metal arm rest! But he likes to eat cardboard and paper so he's pretty strange when he's "normal"

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a cat with gingivitis, had it since she is 5 months old
She hates having her teeth brushed so if she wont let me I put some Logic toothpaste on the end of a cotton bud and wipe it across her gums. It may not be as good as brushing but at least its something.

Panthersowner

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a cat with gingivitis, had it since she is 5 months old
She hates having her teeth brushed so if she wont let me I put some Logic toothpaste on the end of a cotton bud and wipe it across her gums. It may not be as good as brushing but at least its something.
Thats the plan. I'm getting the gingivitus toothpaste, a finger brush and a cloth finger brush from amazon

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I hope it helps. If its any consolation my cats gums are no worse now at 4 years old than they were are 5 months.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I highly recommend reading this blog post about a training program for cats and their humans, then clicking through to the videos. Our vet recommended that we use it before starting our gingivitis-prone cats on toothbrushing. Patience is really key to getting cats into brushing. A toothpaste that they like is also important: ours like CET brand.

Brushing Your Cat's Teeth: A 4-Week Training Program - The Conscious Cat

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are also some dental toys, like from PetStages. Petstages: Dental Toys

My cat Hima's gingivitis isn't so mild anymore and that actually causes brushing her teeth make things worse -- the brush just hurts her gums more. Probably wouldn't if the brush stayed on her teeth and not touched her gum but it's nearly impossible.

I use those Pet Stages dental toys, a toothgel from beaphar, those things to add to the water. I haven't used them myself yet but brown seaweed is also praised to fight tartar.

Panthersowner

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thats the plan. I'm getting the gingivitus toothpaste, a finger brush and a cloth finger brush from amazon
The last vet said his teeth look great and he had a wonderful week in Devon. He's been a mood for the past few days because I haven't felt well enough to get out of bed. I'm still battling a bad cold but my mum is better so he'll get plenty of stokes tonight. I've switched to emzyme gel a few times a week and that works better for us. And we just had a breakthrough with his behaviuer-he's not weed on any beds for over two weeks and he sat on my lap for 10 seconds yesturday of his own free will. It has taken almost nine months but he's he now happy laying next to us for stokes and he likes cuddles and being bopped and he'll sit on your lap in a box and we just had a breakthrough a week after we tried the box!

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Even daily brushing won't mean no dental needed ever. It will help a LOT but no one ever keeps up brushing once or twice a day. Its just like people though. We all brush 1-3 times a day and floss and still need cleanings at the dentist, or teeth pulled. Always plan on it at some point in the cats life.

Panthersowner

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Even daily brushing won't mean no dental needed ever. It will help a LOT but no one ever keeps up brushing once or twice a day. Its just like people though. We all brush 1-3 times a day and floss and still need cleanings at the dentist, or teeth pulled. Always plan on it at some point in the cats life.
I know it will happen at some point. He gets a teeth checkup everytime he gets his flea treatment at the vet and he passes everytime with strong teeth, no problems and sometimes an upset nurse or vet when he bites them a bit too hard!