Cat Gingivitis?

Luna10

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi guys I have a question my 4 year Kitty, Luna is fel-v positive. But overall a very healthy playful Kitty. She had an upper respiratory infection about a month ago, we took her to the vet got it treated. While we were there at the vet notice she had gingivitis but it didn't seem too severe at that time. I'm sure its more than just gingivitis.

Today I noticed there was some blood around her food bowl. She also vomited just a little bit ago after eating, which I read is pretty common because they don't chew their food they try to swallow it whole because of the pain.

I'm assuming they're going to have to do some sort of extraction. Which I would gladly do for her to end any pain she may be in. Because she has the leukemia, I just want some opinions on if it will be worth it to put her through another surgery.

She had surgery 2 years ago because she had pyometra. Because of the leukemia I just want to make sure doing all this is worth it for her. I'm scared she's not going to end up living long and then doing all of this surgeries and putting her through all this is for nothing. The way she seems healthy and playful I really see her living for a long time. (My positive outlook on her situation.)

Any advice or opinions? Her vet appt is tomorrow.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I’m sorry to hear about this. I hope Luna is on the mend soon. I’ll attach some articles that will give you more information about gingivitis and tooth extraction in cats. The good news is that they usually recover quickly from extractions.

Gingivitis And Stomatitis In Cats

Your vet will advise you on the best course of treatment. An extraction might not even be necessary, usually a dental cleaning is the first step. Sometimes a partial extraction might be all that is needed. Even so, here’s another article to give you some peace of mind in case the vet recommends an extraction: Can Cats Manage Without Their Teeth?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
As for the leukemia, and I am SO SORRY you and your kitty are dealing with that nastiness, your vet can advise you best on that. If she is doing well and is stable right now, she may do just fine.