Cat getting spayed

lillys mommy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone. Lilly (6 months old) is getting spayed on Friday. I'm so nervous for her! What can I expect in the first 48 hours?

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hooray for being a responsible pet owner and getting your kitty spayed!!  She will probably come home groggy and somewhat sedated, so don't expect much.  Sometimes, though, they are back to full kitten antics when you bring them home!  LOL  She may not want to eat too much when she comes home, but she should be back to fairly normal food portions by morning.  You want to watch for excessive locking of the incision site and for infection.  If the incision looks red and angry, it may be infected.  The vet will tell you to limit her activity, but I've learned that most kitties are good at self-limiting based on how uncomfortable they are.

princess123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
13 years ago we had Princess done and she came back a bit doozy but within a few days she was ok so we were happy

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lillys mommy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the reassurance! Should I offer her food when we get home or just let her be and rest? I read about keeping her in a small space the following day. Do you think I should do that?

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
Are you bringing her home same day of surgery or the day after?

If day of, hold off on feeding her until the following morning. Anesthesia can make them nauseated and it's best to make sure she is fully awake first. If she is awake at bedtime, you can offer her some water.

I personally suggest keeping her confined to a bedroom or bathroom for the duration of her healing time (typically 10 days.) The idea is to keep her from running/jumping during this time period which.

With the rescue, we crate ALL cats after their spay/neuter in extra-large dog crates. By doing so, it allows us the capability to keep them from moving around too much and if someone has a problem with their surgery site, we know that they did not tear anything internally. It's typically because the cat is licking/biting at the area and we can address it as such.

bear

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I keep them in a cage for 1 day for boys and 3 for girls. I use a tonga condo cage yet drop the shelves low, making a low ceiling abot 1 foot. I do not want the girls to jump or climb. I let them out to eat and stretch slightly

princess123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Actually she will be doozy and look drunk as we said and she will probably get  antibiotics    so yes offer her food (soft) on a warm dish and she may just eat .

this  food will help her with the antibiotics in the stomach (if they are given and in pill form) we found that it was easier to hold princess head a bit higher gently by the jaw popping the antibiotic in her mouth and rubbing her throat to get her to swallow.Right now she is on anti biotics for something else

Be careful though they can keep this in the mouth and when you are not looking spit it out. I experienced that with princess last time she was on

Also keep an eye out that she does not want to scratch or lick the site of the incision

Good luck. Lilly will be just fine and all will be well

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My first cat - 20 yrs ago - was very dozy but insisted on climbing a cupboard and fell off. She was ok and got lots of cuddles. My third cat - 18 yrs ago - open her stitches and had to be reoperated on.My third and fourth had to wear collars. I only had one male until now. Lotto. No problem. Whisky was done at about 8 or 9 months as whoever was his owner before hadn't bothered. He was not happy and it took a few days for his eyes to get back to normal. Blight hasn't been done yet. He's too small but whisky will look after him after he's been done.

lillys mommy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone!

I am bringing her in at 8 am and picking her up at 4 pm the same day. The vet told me to keep the collar on her for 10 days :( I will probably hang out in my bedroom with her for at least a week.

Thanks again for the advice! I don't think I'll be getting any sleep tomorrow. So nervous for my little girl

mhoock

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just relax, remember she reads your vibes and will act accordingly! Also, I have had HUNDREDS of cats spayed (I rescue... a LOT). They have all been fine and I go to an old farm vet that doesn't use pain meds, and it is stitches not like now with the glue (BTW he is not cruel but cats tend to not bust open when they are in a little pain, if the animal showed signs of severe pain then he would provide pain meds but its not standard and NO cat I have had has had an issue and trust me I am an animal freak and worry constantly about how they feel emotionally and physically). Not to freak you out more than you are but only once has a cat ever opened herself up and she was confined to a bathroom (also, keep in mind she thinks she is a newfoundland dog so that probably didn't help the situation, and yes she does think she is a dog, she guards the house, eats with the dog ... sometimes his food.... and has to have a tie out so she can go potty). She was taken to an emergency vet when she did this and was glued and then she ripped that open... so my dad used a butterfly bandage and a sock around her and that is what seemed to work... go figure. SO do keep an eye on her but don't fret too much. Like I said HUNDREDS of spays done and only 1 pain in the butt cat. The vet will also send you home with after care instructions as well, make sure you have an emergency number available just in case and that is all you can do.

Positive thoughts your way that you both make it through ok! Sounds like you are a great cat mommy!

lillys mommy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just relax, remember she reads your vibes and will act accordingly! Also, I have had HUNDREDS of cats spayed (I rescue... a LOT). They have all been fine and I go to an old farm vet that doesn't use pain meds, and it is stitches not like now with the glue (BTW he is not cruel but cats tend to not bust open when they are in a little pain, if the animal showed signs of severe pain then he would provide pain meds but its not standard and NO cat I have had has had an issue and trust me I am an animal freak and worry constantly about how they feel emotionally and physically). Not to freak you out more than you are but only once has a cat ever opened herself up and she was confined to a bathroom (also, keep in mind she thinks she is a newfoundland dog so that probably didn't help the situation, and yes she does think she is a dog, she guards the house, eats with the dog ... sometimes his food.... and has to have a tie out so she can go potty). She was taken to an emergency vet when she did this and was glued and then she ripped that open... so my dad used a butterfly bandage and a sock around her and that is what seemed to work... go figure. SO do keep an eye on her but don't fret too much. Like I said HUNDREDS of spays done and only 1 pain in the butt cat. The vet will also send you home with after care instructions as well, make sure you have an emergency number available just in case and that is all you can do.

Positive thoughts your way that you both make it through ok! Sounds like you are a great cat mommy!
I am definitely reassured knowing hundreds of cats get spayed! I've been telling myself that since I scheduled her appointment.

Oh boy! Sounds like that cat that ripped her stitches open was quite the handful! I'm hoping Lilly won't be like that lol.

Thank you for the positive thoughts! Love her more than most people :)