Cat getting ringworm on the exact same spots

mrfairy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat was on 2 months itraconazole which pretty much cleared up her ringworm for a while, stopped for nearly a month and it's back IN THE SAME SPECIFIC SPOTS ALONG HER BACK. I'm going to thoroughly sanitise my home again, but why is it that she's getting it again in the same areas?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I am not going to be of much help on this one, but am somewhat responding because it might trigger others to respond (has happened before - :crossfingers:). I do know in many of the cases I have read about topicals are administered in addition to oral treatments. So, maybe that would be more effective in your case, especially since you are seeing the ringworm recur in the exact same spots. I have even read that some cases are so stubborn that it can take much longer than 2 months' worth of treatment. I have also read that there are cases where itraconazole is not effective in totally eradicating ringworm.

What does your vet say?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I don't recall reading any cases here where it reoccurred in the exact same places, so was going to suggest you give your Vet a call to discuss this. Maybe it isn't ringworm at all but some other type of skin issue :dunno: How was it diagnosed in the first place?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrfairy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't recall reading any cases here where it reoccurred in the exact same places, so was going to suggest you give your Vet a call to discuss this. Maybe it isn't ringworm at all but some other type of skin issue :dunno: How was it diagnosed in the first place?
Hey! They actually did use a culture test, so it was indeed ringworm. Another vet ever mentioned something about ringworm spores living on cats fur before they evolve into the actual fungus and attack the skin, so I was thinking could it be possible that the spores themselves weren't eradicated on those areas and the oral meds only cured the mature fungus?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Interesting. So have you discussed this reoccurrence with your Vet? Did you do the Lime Sulphur Dip as part of the "cure"? That would also get spores that were on the fur, since it gets the cat soaking wet for at least 10 minutes, if I'm not mistaken. That dip, along with oral medication, is the best treatment that I'm aware of.