Cat Gets Upset Over Food

Scratchy22

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Guys my cat is odd. I give him a variety of treats, i feed him neutered cat food twice a day and if i am eating or he wants to eat more he just walks around chirping and meow complaining and just acts like a child. If i try to pet him he bites me and if i sit close to him he bites me again. He has tunnels, cat trees grooming equipment house plants, cat grass and a window and i play with him every day. How can i tell him that feeding time is over. He also throws a big tantrum when his nails have to be trimmed.

Attachments

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
What are you feeding him and how many times a day?Perhaps he needs more protein or a higher quality cat food to feel more satisfied. It is worth discussing with your vet.

As far as his behavior when his nails are trimmed it is pretty normal . Don’t try to trim them all at once. Wait until he is sleeping or very sleepy and then try to get a nail or two done at a time.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If i try to pet him he bites me and if i sit close to him he bites me again
Along with the excellent advice susanm9006 has given you, when your cat is starting to bite, hiss at him just like his mama would do. That's how she would teach him what's acceptable behavior, and a hiss, a loud NO and even a metal can half filled with coins and given a hard shake, will help.
This will need to be done repeatedly and consistently.

He's a beautiful cat!

This might also help;
How Much Food Should I Feed My Cat?

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What is "neutered cat food"? I am guessing it is not high enough protein and too many carbs for an adult male cat....

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
How old is your kitty? How much does he weigh? What are you feeding him, and how much? It's possible that he's really not getting enough nutrition.

Have you had him checked by a vet? Sometimes health problems can look like behavior problems.

If he's getting the proper amount of food and the vet says he's healthy, then you probably do have a behavior issue. I'm not sure I can help you with that. My cats have me pretty well trained, not the other way around.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Question: Do you ever play with him or just give him the toys for him to play by himself. He may be just wanting some attention instead of eating or playing alone. Treasure does the same thing until I engage in 20 minutes of play with her and then she calms down. She likes batting toys around so I have a plastic cat ball on a string that I swing like a pendulum that she bats around for a bit. After that she's content to lay down or play with a solo toy or go find Shaman

Edited to add: I always put on relaxing music for cats (youtube has tons or Alexa skill) that plays while the cats eat. That calms them down that they go and nap after eating. So engage in petting, playing then the feeding while listening to relaxing music.